Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Walt Disney Treasures R2 releases

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by the_pauley, May 3, 2004.

1. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Picked up these today and mightily impressed:

Mickey Mouse in Living Colour

The Complete Silly Symphonies

A few questions:

1. Are these limited editions as the R1 releases were?

2. Are all the titles released on R1 and now deleted scheduled to appear on R2, and if yes when?

3. Are the R2 tin boxes the same design as R1? The tin boxes on the R2 editions are bigger than the usual DVD case. About an inch taller and an inch wider, and are as thick as roughly two standard DVD cases. the corners and edges are rounded. Inside there is a black velour interior with a section cut out to hold a standard DVD case containing the two discs.

All info gratefully received.

PS: Pleased to say that the cartoons are uncensored, i.e. not "politically corrected", and still carry a "U" certificate. "Tom & Jerry" DVD compilers take note! :lesson:

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi Pauley,

In answer to your queries:

1. Are these limited editions as the R1 releases were?
    Nope, hence the slightly cheaper price, but also the cheaper packaging.

2. Are all the titles released on R1 and now deleted scheduled to appear on R2, and if yes when?
    At the moment, details are still unconfirmed. They may or may not appear, but I presume, it will be sales that determine whether or not all the titles get a UK R2 release or not.

3. Are the R2 tin boxes the same design as R1?
    Nope. The R1 were proper, metal tins, and were slightly bigger than the UK ones, if my memory serves. I also think the US tins were a lot nicer to look at, and didn't have the labelling stuck on, but were hammered-in, like the kind of upraised-writing you get on books.

As for the note you made about the cartoons being uncensored, I expect that either a) the company releasing these titles are aiming at the collectors only, rather than your average high-street DVD purchaser, or b) there were no issues with the BBFC over the content, bearing in mind the time of when they were made, plus the additional fact that the releases are NOT being targetted or aimed at children. The "Tom And Jerry" titles were being aimed at children, hence the censoring!

Bizarre, I know, but that's modern-day Britain for you!

Pooch

3. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +441
    I know that Chronological Donald is released over here
    on Sept. 13th. Considering the fact that 4 new Treasure's
    dvd's are released on May 18th in R1 (this will be the 3rd wave
    of releases over there), the omens don't look good as to us getting the complete collection. But as Pooch said, if sales
    are good, maybe we will.

4. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    I bought these yesterday from WH Smith and the containers are exactly as you describe the R1 boxes Pooch. Proper metal tin, bigger than normal DVD boxes, embossed writing and the pictures labels printed / enamelled into the metal - not stuck on labels.

So it does sound like these are the same as the US boxes. Can anyone who has seen both R1 and R2 definitely confirm please? If they are identical I want to get the latest batch of R1 releases.

Not sure what you mean by cheaper prices though Pooch. The UK releases have a SRP of £21.99 (£17.99 at WH Smith), whereas the next batch of US releases work out at just over a tenner apiece.

Not surprised that we'll be getting the popular stuff like Mickey, Donald and company, but would really like to get my hands on the stuff like "Disneyland USA" and "Behind the Scenes at Disney Studios", etc.

On the subject of being uncensored, I think the reason is as Pooch says, these are aimed at the collectors' market rather than kids. Interesting though that despite the content, the BBFC still rates them as "U" material. Also the reason why I think it's worth waiting for the "Tom & Jerry" box from the USA as it is being aimed at the collectors' market.

Think that's the difference between Disney USA and Disney UK. USA seems to cater for the Disney collectors as well as the general buyer, while the UK arm treats the product as strictly kiddy-fare.

5. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just found the following on DVD Times site:

So it seems they are limited editions just like the USA even though they are not numbered.

Also pics of the tin box and the inner DVD box as well can be seen here.

6. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the complete set of region ones and I can confirm that whilst the content of the DVDs is the same, in terms of packaging the region ones are much better. They are sturdier tins, not flimsy like the regions 2s. They are also individually stamped with a ltd ed. number which I guess make them more collectable...

I was relieved that the regions 2s weren't as good as the region ones, but am still worried that the R1s might be devalued by these new releases... I paid a lot for the "Silly Symphonies" and "Mickey Mouse in Color" editions and would hate to think that they are now worth less money :(

PS Isn't it always the case that region 2s are inferior and more expensive than region ones! :( :mad:

7. Lex

Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PS - [​IMG] the_pauley [​IMG]

Have a good one :smashin:

8. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Just did! :beer: Hic!

Thanks Lexie :smashin:

9. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +306
    Have to second what Lex said re the quality of the R1 sets over the R2's. I also have a complete set of R1 Treasures and the tins are better IMHO - smaller and more compact, too.

Isn't it always the case that region 2s are inferior and more expensive than region ones!

Still seems to be so, doesn't it! I got the R1 Monster Legacy Gift Set last week and it's fantastic. The films are beautifully packaged in book style double disc cases, inside windowed slip cases - all with great artwork. 5 films in the Frankenstein set, 5 in the Dracula set & 4 in the Wolfman set - totalling 14 movies. Great value.

The R2 releases will probably be in bog-standard amarays, have just 2 films per DVD totalling 6 films in all! And as Lex said, at a higher price! :thumbsdow

the_pauley - All the very best, we share the same birthday! Same year too! Looking forward to next year are we? :D :suicide: :rolleyes: :D

Off to have another glass of Southern Comfort.

10. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    All the best to you too Crazyhorse. Am I looking forward to next year? Yes and no.

Everyone says I should do something momentous, so I'm thinking of finally converting my second lounge into a cinema. That's not what everyone else has in mind of course, but hey - it's MY birthday! :D

Just got the "Monster Legacy" set myself. Beautiful! Also was lucky enough to pick up a "Schindler's List" R1 with the case intact (after four attempts!). Only problem is the room these nice gift sets take up!