Wallpaper recommendations?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Mark Ward, Oct 21, 2002.

1. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I've spent the last week sanding & scraping and I'm now ready to wallpaper the the new HT room.

The new room is huge (over 12m X 6m X Very tall) and I want to use a "flock" or textured wallpaper to help deaden, or at least reduce the reflection of the sound.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Obviously it'll need to be a dark colour (I'm thinking reds/purples) but it'll need to look OK when the room isn't being used for HT.

Not too expensive would be a help too as I'm going to need a lot of it.

I will also be adding panels/rugs to the walls where I can get away with it to help further.

Cheers,

Mark.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i tried using anaglypta (i think thats how it is spelt). It is embossed thick paper. But, it is white so you would need to paint it.

ad

3. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Buns,

I was thinking more of the fabric type finishes that I would imagine would reduce the sound reflections. I have the easy option of just painting the walls but think the room would benefit from fabric or heavy textured paper. I did see a paper a few years ago in someones house (can't remember who) that had a texture like tree bark. It was really quite deeply textured and I'm sure something similar must be around.

As always that first port of call is to ask here to find out what others have done.

Cheers,

Mark.

4. GaryG

GaryG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I put a dado rail around my room and carpeted the lower half to absorb sound reflection.

5. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,732
    Make sure it is big enough to cover the area's between the floor and the ceiling. And also leave enough spaces, in the right places, for things like doors, windows, plugs etc. hee hee :D :D

Sorry, I hate DIY...

When I lived at parents home I done my bedroom with cinema in mind so I visited the local flea pits and got some idea's...

Very thick curtains
    Dimmer switch
    Dark red thick carpet (dark blue shoes up every stray bit of cotton of fluff etc.) and thick underlay.
    A mottled Dark blue, green and red wallpaper for 3 walls and
    The wall behind the TV was a lighter blue and v. light blue vertical stripes. This meant that there was no reflected light from the tv to the walls when viewing in darkness yet when it was light during non tv times, it didn't look over dark.
    And last but by no means least polystyrene ceiling tiles to help dampen the sound.

Hope this helps
    J

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,486
    I have roughly the same layout as Gary - wallpaper top half, and carpet on the botton. The screen wall is black carpet, and the rear is all wallpaper.

I did a 'clap test' when I'd finished the room, but hadn't decorated - echos/reflections everywhere. As I decorated, I found the carpet made a temendous difference, and the sound improved greatly (IMHO).

A rule of thumb is to have the top half (ear height and above) of the room 'live' and the bottom 'dead'. Front wall should be dead to prevent any unwanted reflections muddying the sound, and the rear totaly live. Of course without proper measurements, we've no idea if anything we're doing is making things better or worse, but Joe Public rarely does these things at home. :)

I used Kodak 18% grey for the sides and ceiling (including matching carpet) and a deep red for the rear with a similar floor carpet.

The grey is good for reducing light reflections so should anything reflect onto the screen, it doesn't affect it. Any light is neutral.

Pics are on my website if you're interested.

Gary.

7. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    When I get my own house I'm going to carpet the lower walls with carpet tiles, doesn't have to feel too glamourous for me.

That won't be for at least 4 years though!

There was a good piece about room acoustics a few months back, may be interesting.

2:4:5 I think for room size ratios. (Or 2:3:5)

8. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Carpet up the walls isn't an option here. Nathan (nfordenfield) popped over yesterday. He suggested a RussAndrews piece of advice. Double lined with liner paper then matt paint.

This is definitely worth a try for me and I can easily put a textured paper over the top if it doesn't work out.

I understand you can buy double width liner paper which will help in such a large room.

Thanks for your views,

Mark.

9. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cant you just paint it and go for some natural diffusors like bookcases and hang a couple of tastful rugs on the walls?

Good luck, wish I had your problem :(

Steve

10. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    the paper i meant is rather like what you are referring to. It has a thick heavy pattern....plus i have it double lined below....

ad

11. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,946
    I don't think wallpapaper is going to deaden the sound at all. It's too flat.
    How about curtains round the walls?

12. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Spectre
    I'm a real newbie when it comes to room treatments etc. but I've been following advice gained from many sources. From what I gather (not from personal experience) textured surfaces are supposed to break up the way the sound bounces off the wall, also the light reflection too. Given that I have to decorate anyway and the walls aren't in the best condition there really isn't anything to be lost trying these things.

As for curtains all round... I will be hanging full length curtains where I can and I'm intending to hang some rugs where I can too but the wife factor seriously limits what I can achieve here.

I've set up a page in my profile that shows the room and my current thinking/progress. Right now I seem to be progressing at a rate faster than my wallet can keep up with.

Mark.

13. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Stuart is probably spot on, the paper has minimal effects unless you get something which is hazardously uneven! :eek: I used all my heavy paper to basically cover an imperfect surface and it also does wonders for insulation!

ad

14. Mark Ward

Mark Ward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I also have uneven wall surfaces and I won't complain abit the extra insulation either. When I heat this room I can image the fuel in the heating oil tank visibly going down.

I know it won't be so bad when I get my doors on & some carpet etc. though.

Mark.

15. Couch Potato

Couch Potato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By the time you've got your amps running and the Barco on it should be nice and warm!! You'll be looking for aircon units next :p

I really would consider furniture to act as natural diffusors, bookcases (or DVD cases on shelves) make excellent diffusors due to the uneven size they really help to break up reflections. There's an excellent book on acoustics by F Alton Everest called the Master Handbook of Acoustics which isn't as heavy a read as you might imagine and well worth investing in, especially when you've got a "blank canvas" like your new room.

Steve

Steve

16. pat clancy

pat clancy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    hi guys,interesting subject,i have a question,when i clap my hands in my lounge i hear an echo and the clap sounds very clinky and clangy,i have no wallpaper just paint,would wallpaper improve the sound,i also have a concrete floor with not very thick carpet and very thick curtains,rgrds pat