Wallet/Apple pay

TellyTel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi

Had iPhones for years now, but one thing I have never bothered using is the wallet for contactless payments, despite having a few contactless cards that I use.

Just wanted peoples thoughts on the apple wallet and how easy it is to use in shops. Think the thing that worried me using it was the security side of things, but I'm sure its very secure.

Getting a iPhone 12 pro soon, so thinking about trying the wallet out now.

Also does the card you add to the wallet need to be a contactless card issued form bank, or can I add non contactless and they will work?

One final thing what is the limit now in UK for payments, I read that apple pay can have no limit?

Thanks

Works brilliant for me , especially with an Apple Watch , don’t know about needing a contactless card and the limit does vary depending where you shop 👍

Works brilliant for me , especially with an Apple Watch , don’t know about needing a contactless card and the limit does vary depending where you shop 👍

I will give it a try then when I've set up my 12. I found out the card doesn't need to be contactless.:smashin:

I had it set up on my old 6S then it stopped working and i missed it. Now set up again on my new 12 and apple watch and its really handy to have. The watch is even easier than a phone with the only issue twisting your wrist to the right position!! Its just nice to know i have a payment option with me even if i dont have my wallet etc. Its arguably safer than a contactless card as well with the additional verification needed for payments (face\touch ID from phone and with watch you have to unlock it and be wearing it) than a normal contactless card.

Works really well - especially if you are doing stuff like running and aren't taking your wallet. The limit can definitely be higher than the £45 contactless one as I've gone close to around £100 a few times. I don't know if this is universal though. Tesco seemed to think the limit is same as with cards.

I don’t think there is a limit on how much you can spend using Apple Pay. I’ve certainly used it for large payments.

It’s great but doesn’t work great with a mask on.. ie you got to type your code in front of everyone rather than taking your mask down.
Once we stop wearing masks I’d recommend it... atm I’d probably still use my card.
Not got an apple watch but can see that being very handy.

One of the benefits of Apple Pay is that it doesn't have a transaction limit, unlike using a physical card at the contactless point of sale, which is currently £45. This is expected to increase to £100 as it was announced in the last budget.

i'm not in agreement with the £100 limit as it means someone can nick my card and just tap for £100 of goods up to a daily limit of £300 (I think)...as long as it doesnt need the PIN inputting.
At least with Apple Pay its secure and needs some biometric measure to unlock, i.e. Face or Touch ID, which is why you can transact at a higher limit with Apple Pay.

One of the benefits of Apple Pay is that it doesn't have a transaction limit, unlike using a physical card at the contactless point of sale, which is currently £45.

Though it’s good to remember that ApplePay will still work as conventional contactless at retailers who don’t actually support ApplePay (Tesco was an example until recently) but then also has the contactless limit at those retailers. Fortunately more and more retailers are going full ApplePay as they update their systems (like Tesco and ASDA have done).

Theoretically, if the retailer displays the ApplePay logo or signage then they should be properly signed up for it and not have the current £45 limit.

....and ApplePay can be used online as well, like Google, Samsung Pay.

Some banks are doing digital / virtual only cards for those that don’t need a physical card. COVID has realy accelerated the digital adoption of card payments

It’s great but doesn’t work great with a mask on.. ie you got to type your code in front of everyone rather than taking your mask down.
Once we stop wearing masks I’d recommend it... atm I’d probably still use my card.
Not got an apple watch but can see that being very handy.
Yep this is where the Watch is very handy, i've got Apple Pay set up on my phone but only use my watch currently as its just loads easier.

Also worth mentioning that, if you need, you can set a card to be the default card for things like the London Underground etc and you just tap your phone on the gates and i dont think that needs any authentication to speed things up.

....and ApplePay can be used online as well, like Google, Samsung Pay.

Some banks are doing digital / virtual only cards for those that don’t need a physical card. COVID has realy accelerated the digital adoption of card payments

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

I was wondering about online purchases as well, but I thought a lot of the shop outlets require you to have their separate app to do this, do some online shops have apple pay implemented on the websites?

The contactless limit only applies to non-authenticated transactions. Cardholder device-authenticated transactions (I.e. where you use your phone to authenticate yourself, such as Apple Pay, Google, Samsung Pay etc) have no in-store limit (your bank might though).

This only applies if the store has implemented support for device-authenticated transactions (Tesco was notably not doing this in most of their stores). If not, it gets treated as a regular contactless card transaction and has the store limit applied.

The Apple Watch is really nice as it relies on being unlocked by your phone or a PIN once when you put it on. Provided it doesn't leave your wrist, it remains an authenticated device for payment. As mentioned, if you enable express travel, it works on TfL (and a few other metro systems in other major cities) without even needing a button press.

I prefer to use my phone or watch for paying as it's more secure than using a card where you potentially have to enter a PIN for anyone to see.

I’ve had an issue with my main card on Apple Pay in the last few days (never happened before) and I’ve felt lost without it. I’ve used it pretty much exclusively for quite a while and it’s so damn convenient. Feels odd having to take my wallet with me while I’m trying to sort out the current problem.

I remember a few years ago popping out to get some dog food and had forgotten both my wallet and phone at home. Had my watch with me, thought I’d give it a go and, voila, it worked.

I recently spent about £600 on some Apple gear and spent £1200, IIRC, on a TV in December 2019 - both using Apple Pay on my phone.

Utterly seamless, wouldn’t be without it.

I recently spent about £600 on some Apple gear and spent £1200, IIRC, on a TV in December 2019 - both using Apple Pay on my phone.

Utterly seamless, wouldn’t be without it.
Yep, it even works from a Mac in a browser on websites that support ApplePay - you either get a prompt on your phone or your watch to confirm. A simple double-press of a button and it's done, secure and seamless! So much more convenient than faffing about with card details and delivery addresses.

Use it all the time, it's great with Apple Watch. Quick double tap, blip on reader done. Very secure.

Added bonus, lots of online places accept apple pay these days too, so it saves having to get card out and type in 16 digits etc.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom