1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Support ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by 330uk, Jan 4, 2004.

1. 330uk

330uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im thinking of getting a Panny 6 for my flat. I want to hang it on the wall and was wondering if anybody has had any problems with the wall supporting the screen.
    Its a standard plaster board wall, so will a 28Kg screen be safe hanging on the wall ?

2. Pollywoggle

Pollywoggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    If you do a search there are loads of threads about peeps hanging their plasmas onto different kinds of walls and the fixings required.

3. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    By plasterboard wall do you mean partition wall, or plasterboard on to a breeze block wall.

I mounted my panny 6 recently onto the latter, really went to town on the fixings, as i am always worried about it falling off.

I searched high and low for fixings, took technical advice from rawlplug website etc, but in the end simply went to wickes and bought 4-off 10mm coach bolts with plugs @ about 100mm long to be sited in the 4 corners of the bracket, and 8-off 6mm screws with plugs @ about 100mm long sited at intervals around the plate.

Main thing i think is to purchase new drill bits at the same time, iif yours are getting a bit tired, so you can aim for the best quality holes without any drill bit slippage which may cause the holes to be oversized.

I am pretty sure that the whole thin would have held up with just the 4-off bolts, but for the sake of 8 more holes and another 6-8 pounds is it worth the risk.

4. 330uk

330uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is an internal wall. Between bedroom and living room. DOnt think there are any breeze blocks.

5. DarT

DarT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming it is a partition wall then, you will need to know whether the batons are of a solid construction (to be able to hold the weight). Generally newer properties are being built with lightweight metal batons that in my opinion are not suitable. In this instance i suggest that you would need to consult with a builder, to brace the wall in some fashion

Alternatively if the partition batons are wood, then in all probability these may be strong enought to support the plasma, but you would need to secure your bolts/screws into the wooden batons, so it is important to know exactly where they are.

Generally if it was me i would not be 100% confident without taking advice from a builder or taking a closer look inside the wall (ie removing a portion of plasterboard).

Sorry if this doesn't help