1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wall sockets

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Tracey, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I think this has maybe been asked before, but I have the option of either having 2 triple or 3 double wall sockets installed so I can plug my AV equipment directly into the wall, or I could get a mains distribution block which could prove quite costly, alot more expensive than just getting 6 sockets fitted. My question is, what would give me the best sound, or would it not make a difference? I don't know much about electrics but we have got a separate ring main that will be used for the tv, and hc equipment which I believe is a clean power supply. I'm not too bothered about having loads of sockets fitted as they will be in the skirting and will be hidden by the curtain, but I just wondered if getting a high quality mains extension block would be a better option? Or are there any neater options?

2. themadhippy

themadhippy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    id go for 3 double sockets(or even more if space/budget allow),the 3 gang sockets have an inline fuse built into them to avoid overloads which some recon can have detrimentall effects

3. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah double sockets - I'd go for MK unswitched ones, if I were you.

Nice that you have a separate ring for the hifi/tv.

4. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, being an idiot what is the difference between switched and unswitched, are you simply talking about the ones that have an on/off switch and the ones that don't. Presumably the ones that don't have power going through all the time, does that mean I would have to unplug my amp etc rather than just switching it off at the socket? so what is the advantage of unswitched sockets? Just curious.

Regarding the seperate ring main, I insisted on it even though I didn't know what the hell it is! .:laugh: There are some advantages of buying a house that needs everything replaced I suppose

5. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, unswitched sockets don't have an on/off switch on them - one less connection in the power supply *should* give a better result, but I doubt it's worth worrying about.

Must admit, I hardly ever switch things off at the wall - either just on the appliance itself, or if I want to disconnect it completely, I unplug it, rather than just switching off at the wall. However, I doubt it'll be much different to have switched sockets, if you'd prefer.

Definitely go for a decent make like MK or Crabtree, though.

6. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks, would you recommend GET plc sockets, I know everyone recommends MK becuase they are good quality and a well known make but the GET ones would match what I already have, I have the ultimate range in black nickel, you can see them on their website www.getplc.co.uk I'd say they were as good as MK quality wise, they're certainly expensive enough.

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    From the sound qaulity point of view,everyone rates the unswitched MK's very highly....I have some in my system,but would rate the overall benefit as very small when compared to the benefits of good mains supply and quality mains cables etc.

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Depending on your kit, a lot of amps have a switched/unswitched outlet or outlets for othe gear eg the DVD player this can help cut down the number of mains supplies you need.

9. RichardH

RichardH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well frankly I don't think it's worth getting too hung up about - I'm sure the GET ones would be OK (though I guess different sockets for this ring main would make it obvious it was separate!)

The dedicated ring will be the major contributor to any improvements, I'm sure, but decent mains cables are well worth looking at, too - as recommended above.

10. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, thanks. I have an LAT mains lead for my DV27 and just a chepo Yello Russ Andrews one for the AV8. Think I'll stick with the matching sockets then, just in case I ever move my system.