1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall socket?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Stereo Steve, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    When Sky install, do they fit a new wall socket? So you have one cable from dish to socket and then a seperate cable from the wall to the sky box? I ask as I installed my own dish before and left 3 feet of cable where the telly is to avoid extra joins. So the box runs staight to the LNB with no joins. I'm doing up a barn now and want Sky+ in two rooms so should I wire in 2 face plates in each room to connect to the LNB and then use short cables later from box to wall? Also, what kind of faceplates do I use?

Cheers.

2. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    At my last house, and this one's two installs (first Sky Digital, then Sky+), they just drill a hole through the window frame and stick the cable through the hole.

Have heard the same from friends and rellies, I've only heard of wall socket installs when private non-Sky companies do install. Don't know if that's true, but seems to be from my experience.

If you have any joins in the cable it will batter the signal strength, but should not reduce signal quality (which is what counts).

StooMonster

3. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Thanks, anyone else got an installation using wall sockets?

4. Arthur Dent

Arthur Dent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, my Sky system several years old now. First thing I did after the accredited Sky fitter had gone was to connect the cable to an F type wall socket. Also used the same hole in the wall (opened up a bit) to route another length of co-ax back up to the loft to an amp/distributor in order to be able to watch satellite in two bedrooms. I also checked where the cable entered the wall to ensure there was a U shaped loop below the hole so that water didn't come through. As a "belt & braces" job, I also filled the hole with mastic. I think the degradation of signal if cable is joined is a bit of hype, most likely explanation IMO is that it's quicker for the installer. Providing the wall socket has got an F type connector and the length of cable to the sat box is H100 (?) type same as downlead, there should be no problem. At least there wasn't in my case and my cable run is fairly long.

5. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    The standard installation is to leave a tail with an 'F' connector attached. If you are looking for anything better i would suggest doing your own cable run in anticipation of the installation that way you can conceal the coax and terminate it to your own requirements.