Wall plates for Cat6 RF and Sat

dtweek

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a couple of wall plates to link in my home network and also distribution of my RF and Sat

What I'm looking for is for the living rooms downstairs.
2X Cat6 1XRF 1XSat(F-Type)

and for the bedrooms
2X Cat & 1XRF

I've done a quick google and haven't been able to find a plate that does exactly what I want. I can get it easily and cheaply with 1 Network plate and 1 TV/SAT plate but I was hoping to fit it all into one plate for neatness sake.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

Also do people think 2 Cat6 cables into the two main rooms downstairs and for each of the bedrooms is enough. I'm thinking one for internet and the other for utility specifically converting HDMI to Cat6 and back again so I can play playstation in any room :)

I had the same issue so i made one up my self out of stainless steel. 2 HDMI, 1 AV and 1 component set. Not that hard to do and looks sweet on the wall. personally i would run double what you need for your Cat6, best to have too much that not enough

P1010166.jpg

the MRS would go balistic if i had somthing like that on the wall

i used a lab gear 4 Gang polished chrome Modular Faceplate. then you can fit four fittings in the face plate the same size as a double socket in nice polished chrome.

i have 1xRF, 1x sat f plug, 1 telephone, and 1 xcat5E.

where did you get the labgear stuff from? Their website is a bit cack couldn't tell if there was a cat6 module

Ouch they work out expensive(ish) don't they.

I might just go for the 2 Cat6 RJ45 wall plate and a seperate wall plate for RF distribution. Works out about 3 quid for the RJ45 wall plate and about 6 quid for the RF. I think the Cat 5e are cheaper but pointless as I will be streaming a lot of video

over £7 does seem expensive for an RJ45 module. But then it would look better and I guess I'm just going to do it the once.

decisions decisions.

I was hoping to spend a tenner a plate.

Ho hum

sometimes you have to pay to get exactly what you want. think of this its only a one off expense

I think the Cat 5e are cheaper but pointless as I will be streaming a lot of video

Yet Cat5E is fine for 10/100/1000Mb Ethernet up to 100m so it will be fine for streaming your video. I believe Cat5E can also be used for 10Gb Ethernet up to 45m too, Cat6 up to 55m and Cat6a for 100m.

Kris.

in the above photo on the left cat 6e 10giga 500mhz bandwidth cable going to an RJ45 jack socket (source cable monkey) or Blackbox
for RJ45 at this cable gauge i use industrial plugs
Modular Connectors

HRS (HIROSE)|TM31P-TM-88P(01)|PLUG, RJ45, CAT6A, BODY | Farnell United Kingdom Products&MER=i-9b10-00001144

and industrial cable here
Section 9 Field Bus and Industrial Ethernet Cable

key to remember is the bandwidth of the type of cat cable
in the photograph above cat 5e which is used in an RJ11 telephone connection point

I am just fitting Cat6a FTP cable with shielded connectors from Gogocables, £7 for the modules and £5 for the keystones and the FTP cable is £230 for 500m but worth it.
If you want to get full perofrmance (e.h. routing HDMI through it) FTP cable is strongly advised.

Yet Cat5E is fine for 10/100/1000Mb Ethernet up to 100m so it will be fine for streaming your video. I believe Cat5E can also be used for 10Gb Ethernet up to 45m too, Cat6 up to 55m and Cat6a for 100m.

Kris.

Kris,
Cat5e is rated for 1G up to 90m, it doesn't have a 10G rating.

Cat5e is rated for 1G up to 90m

And 90m + 5m patch lead + 5m patch lead = 100m

it doesn't have a 10G rating.

10GBASE-T may work up to 55 m (180 ft) with existing Cat 6 cabling and up to 45 m (148 ft) with existing Cat 5e cabling. In order to meet the usual 100 m (328 ft), the standard uses a new Category 6a (a.k.a "augmented Cat6") cable specification,

From here, which is why I said "I believe". That doesn't mean it has been officially ratified though, I agree :)

I am just fitting Cat6a FTP cable with shielded connectors from Gogocables, £7 for the modules and £5 for the keystones and the FTP cable is £230 for 500m but worth it.
If you want to get full perofrmance (e.h. routing HDMI through it) FTP cable is strongly advised.

Can I ask where you got the Cat6a FTP Cable from?

I know fitting cable is something you don't want to do more than once, but don't spend money for money's sake on Cat6a unless you REALLY need it and are properly trained in installing it. Laying it is not simply a case of pulling it through some ducting and calling it good. You have to be incredibly careful with bend radii etc and unless you know exactly what you are doing, you are going to end up running hugely expensive cable and find it isn't capable of the bandwidth it is specified to. Besides, for 10G ethernet, you are looking at thousands for a switch which granted will come down, but will be out of reach of most domestic installations for quite some time. My advice, stick with CAT6.

And don't get me started on CAT7 which some in the AV market are touting!

I know fitting cable is something you don't want to do more than once, but don't spend money for money's sake on Cat6a unless you REALLY need it and are properly trained in installing it. Laying it is not simply a case of pulling it through some ducting and calling it good. You have to be incredibly careful with bend radii etc and unless you know exactly what you are doing, you are going to end up running hugely expensive cable and find it isn't capable of the bandwidth it is specified to. Besides, for 10G ethernet, you are looking at thousands for a switch which granted will come down, but will be out of reach of most domestic installations for quite some time. My advice, stick with CAT6.

And don't get me started on CAT7 which some in the AV market are touting!

What is Cat 7 & 8 ? ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom