Wall Plate - HDMI / cat6

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by helvetica, Jul 6, 2015.

1. helvetica

helvetica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi guys, we are building a house at the moment - I asked the electrician for HDMI cables in several rooms. Instead of installing a wall plate with a female connector, he just has a male lead poking out of the wall in a basic surround. Is there any advantage here in terms of no loss of signal quality, or would a good wall plate be just as good and neater? For clarity I am posting an image of both options.

Recommend a manufacturer for the wall plate? I have a few cat6 cables too, might get an all in one, or various combo of each.

thanks

Attached Files:

2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    You are best to avoid joins on HDMI cable so he done the right thing.

Where do the cables run to and how long are they ?

Definitely worth getting Cat6 cables in as well but again depends where they are running to

3. helvetica

helvetica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    the hdmi run locally - from a hidden amp to the tv point, and a projector. I don't know if herself likes the wire poking-out-of-the-wall look, but maybe if it's the better solution I can convince her!

If not, is there a good brand of wall plate that would work well?

Is it the same for cat 6 - better not going through a wall plate?

I also asked for an IR cable to enable remote controls to work on hidden units. He said IR will work over cat6, but didn't tell me I need a converter, which seem expensive. Is there a proper solution for IR over CAT6? Probably need a new post don't I?

4. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    if the Cat6 is being used for data or IR conversion then a wall plate is fine, only if used for converting HDMI to Cat6 would i advise against a plate.

A HDMI wall plate may well work but just not advisable, and what may work now may not work in the future with new equipment.

IR Over Cat6 is one way
    IR and Audio Over Cat5/6 Cable

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,568
    Wall Plate illustrations are rarely shown with cables plugged to the socket - they are no 'neater' than a brush plate! It also means with very slim fit brackets you have to be very careful about placement and Output cable flexibility!

Who other than AV anoraks goes looking around the rear of a TV anyway :)

Doing things the 'right way' usually does involve a bit more cost vs. doing it on a budget!

IR - could just as easily be handled by an RF enabled Programmable Remote if that were an option for you.

Cables - form cable ways using conduit and or give yourself options and backup, if you go with long HDMI cables note they can fail mechanically so you need to ensure you can easily replace them as repairs are high cost/often impossible.

Ideally some form of schematic of what you are looking to achieve will give folk a better understanding of the cabled network!

Joe

Last edited: Jul 13, 2015
  6. helvetica

helvetica

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Brush plate was the key word here! solved, thanks mate.

Attached Files: