1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall ok or do I need a screen?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by noel-pilot, Dec 25, 2004.

1. noel-pilot

noel-pilot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hey all, Merry christmas,
    Im about to take my first step into projector land!!
    Going to purchase an Epson TW10H for my relatively small lounge.

I have light cream walls, will it be ok to just project straight onto the wall or will it be unwatchable? Can I get away with it or is it essential to use a screen?

Opinions and advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. chilli

chilli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am just using a wall and have done for months, although most people would say that a screen does improve picture quality.

I did attempt to paint the wall a very light grey (dulux icestorm 6) but it came out too dark. After trying to paint it white again i noticed that the contrast has improved because you can still make out the grey underneath....bonus.

3. summat

summat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, suck it and see.

For what it's worth, I elected for projection onto a black-out blind (matt, white surface) - didn't do too bad, but just bought a manual screen (£94+vat @ CPC electronics - local to me - at 183cm sq) and would seriously recommend one - a much brighter image (important for a LCD PJ).

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I sold my electronic screen due to unforseen change in my circs :(

This week I bought a 6 foot roller blind from Big W and I am projecting onto that. It is actually very good. However, I am going to paint behind the now 'cut to size' blind with a dark grey paint as this should improve black level and stop light seeping through to the magnolia wall as the material is quite thin.

I then intend on either making a border with material or gaffa tape - dependant on what I can source this week.

However, as before, I concur that a 'real' screen is the business :lesson:

Cap :)

5. zombie_donkey

zombie_donkey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I used Dulux silk Icestorm 5 on a 6mm MDF sheet that I have put a matt black picture frame round.

The results are damn good!

I was using a white sheet until I got the screen ready and I noticed a marked improvement in the blacks and overall contrast with the greyish screen, and thats is with a 1500 Lumens PJ with a contrast ratio of 1800:1.

I had planned this to be a temporary screen until I could afford a few 100 on a proper one, but I like the results and how it looks.

Attached Files:

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Mmmm, that does look good ZD.

I have now scrapped the roller blind. I painted behind it yesterday and whilst it has improved the black level, it highlights how thin the blind material is and the fact that the material has quite a few flecks in it.

So, onto part 2. I went out and bought some black out material yesterday and fixed that up. Actually very very good and quite close to my original screen and perhaps a touch less texture on the material. My girlfriend came over and she thought it was great and noted a marked improvement against the wall and blind.

I may roll with that for a while. However, as before, having owned a screen before my house move I cant help but feel this is a stop gap.

The idea of the MDF sheet does interest me though.

7. MikeRJ

MikeRJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Cap'n! Did you make a frame and stretch the blackout material around it, or are you just hanging it from something?

8. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    As a temp measure I tacked the material to the wall, stretching it as I went - which is actually harder than it sounds. Will make a border over the weekend.

In hindsight, making a baton frame first and then stapling the material to it may be a better option but I am loath to put loads of drill holes in the wall as testing various options.

I cannot stress how like screen fabric one side of my black out material is!!!

I do like the look at ZD's MDF project though.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +562
    I also took the MDF route. 6mm MDF cut to size by my local DIY shop, batons glued on back for rigidity and to keep it flat, matt white paint, masked off to paint black borders, cost about 25 to 30 quid all in. Pics attached. Even masked off the 6mm MDF down the side and painted black, makes it look quite professional (even though I say so myself) :blush: ...PJ

Attached Files: