Wall Mounts

nheather

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
I have a LG 65” OLED to hang on the wall. Plenty of wall support as it previously held a much heavier 55” plasma.

So I need a wall mount - what are the recommendations. I can see ones in eBay for £15 or less, I can see Richer Sounds trying to flig me a ‘basic’ one at £70. And I can see plenty in between and higher. But the basic designs all look similar.

Basically, I just want it to sit flat on the wall, no tilting and reasonably low profile.

Is there any reason why I should not be looking at the lower end - I’m struggling to see what extra I get by paying more.

Another question.

My TV has a rectangular VESA fixing 300 x 200

When I look at many of the mounts on sale they don’t include this VESA specification. But this puzzles me, one which uses the standard design of two fixing bars hanging from a rail states that it supports

• 100mm x 100mm
  • 200mm x 100mm
  • 200mm x 200mm
  • 300mm x 300mm
  • 300mm x 400mm
  • 400mm x 200mm
  • 400mm x 400mm
  • 600mm x 400mm
Has it just omitted 300 x 200 by the list. I don’t understand how it could do 200x200 and 300x300 but not 300x200.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
have a look on amazon there are loads of vesa mounts i am using this one for my 65" Panasonic GZ950.

As I said, I have no trouble finding mounts, I can find hundreds.

The question is whether buying a £15 one is okay. There are ones costing £80 or more.

It’s always hearing “you get what you pay for” but personally, I can’t see any difference between a £15 and an £80 one.

And I’ve solved the VESA issue. Strictly speaking the one you linked doesn’t support 300x200 VESA because it isn’t listed. But it does, they just haven’t bothered to include it in the list.

Cheers,

Nigel

have a look on amazon there are loads of vesa mounts i am using this one for my 65" Panasonic GZ950.

I have that exact one and it works a treat! It was hanging a super heavy plasma TV before I got the 65" C9. It is very low profile too, the OLED screen sits about 60mm from the wall. Just enough space for a mains power extension bank with the TV plugged into it tucked in behind the screen (the C9 power cable is ridiculously short).

The more expensive, the better the range of fixings (depths, quality!) that come with it.

I had a 49" Samsung on a cheap Amazon £15 one. It came as a "DIY" assembly - which meant is was NEVER square! Resulted in me having to bastardise the mounts to get the TV to sit square onto it.

That vs what I ordered from AV Online was a very different experience. The more expensive was solid, square, quality components and a feel that had no rattles/play in it.

For my £3k investment hanging on the wall, I was a LOT more comfortable buying the expensive one again:

The more expensive, the better the range of fixings (depths, quality!) that come with it.

I had a 49" Samsung on a cheap Amazon £15 one. It came as a "DIY" assembly - which meant is was NEVER square! Resulted in me having to bastardise the mounts to get the TV to sit square onto it.

That vs what I ordered from AV Online was a very different experience. The more expensive was solid, square, quality components and a feel that had no rattles/play in it.

For my £3k investment hanging on the wall, I was a LOT more comfortable buying the expensive one again:

Some good points about having post installation adjustment :thumbsup:. I did use a propper spirit level with the above VonHaus bracket rather than the tiny piece of junk level you get with it. This resulted in a perfectly level TV so if you at least do that, then it should work out fine. Once hung it also can be slid left or right on the hanging rail a bit if required.

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a more detailed question now.

Up to now my experience with wall mounted TVs is that they have been of uniform thickness across the TV and the VESA mount has been right in the centre of the TV.

But the one I have now, and I imagine many are like this, has thickness at the bottom 25%-33% of the TV and all above it is extremely thin. So the VESA mounting holes are at the bottom of the TV.

Does this dictate the best shape of mount to use. You have the type like linked above, where the mounting arms extend equal amounts above and below the mounting rail. And the you have the ones where the rail goes higher and the mounting arms hang down from it.

F591A503-8FD2-46E6-BFC5-8E155CB16229.jpeg

98BF1387-E2B1-4FC7-8B0E-745D7677C24C.jpeg

Cheers,

Nigel

Think about the moment / arm / weight situation.

If your mounts are on the bottom end of the TV, would you want your base plate (on the wall) higher or lower the centre of gravity?

For me, if my mounting holes were low down, I'd go for your top picture.

If my holes were central, I'd go for the second pic.

When installing, you have to measure the bracket once on the TV to the base plate so you can perfectly position. Point in case - my 65" curved Samsung sat perfectly above my in-wall speaker. Same bracket, installed on a different TV resulted in the TV being 6" above (looked a pigs ear).

Think about the moment / arm / weight situation.

If your mounts are on the bottom end of the TV, would you want your base plate (on the wall) higher or lower the centre of gravity?

For me, if my mounting holes were low down, I'd go for your top picture.

If my holes were central, I'd go for the second pic.

When installing, you have to measure the bracket once on the TV to the base plate so you can perfectly position. Point in case - my 65" curved Samsung sat perfectly above my in-wall speaker. Same bracket, installed on a different TV resulted in the TV being 6" above (looked a pigs ear).

Yes that was my gut thought too. Also it means that the wall plate will be away from connect sockets so less chance of them being obscured or fouling on leads.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks for the replies so far. I have a more detailed question now.

Up to now my experience with wall mounted TVs is that they have been of uniform thickness across the TV and the VESA mount has been right in the centre of the TV.

But the one I have now, and I imagine many are like this, has thickness at the bottom 25%-33% of the TV and all above it is extremely thin. So the VESA mounting holes are at the bottom of the TV.

Does this dictate the best shape of mount to use. You have the type like linked above, where the mounting arms extend equal amounts above and below the mounting rail. And the you have the ones where the rail goes higher and the mounting arms hang down from it.

View attachment 1198131
View attachment 1198132

Cheers,

Nigel

Mine is like the second image where the mounting arms extend equal amounts above and below the mounting rail and the LG mount screws go through the bottom of the single holes and the middle or bottom of the elliptical holes from memory. As the TV holes are lower down the TV than typical TVs, the TV sits higher up than my plasma did which was mounted exactly centre TV to centre of mount. But just measure where it will sit once you screw the vertical arms onto the TV using the lowest holes possible and set the horizontal part where required. The way the mount's vertical brackets hang the weight means its well balanced and feels solid on the wall. With two people its easier to lift on and off the horizontal part like hanging a big picture frame.

My under £20 wall bracket sits the tv close to the wall, alows the top of tv to angle forward or push back easily for when the tv is set high up, and has a locking bar. Now on its thrird tv, initially bought for a 42"lg, then used for a 46" Samsung, and now for a Sony 55"

Works fine, ony issue is that the mountings for an oled are lower so the tv sits even higher on wall, and I don't want to disturb the wall fixings as I know most of the wallpaper will come off with it, commiting me to redecorating. Not an issue though when setting up for the first time with the TV you have.
I haven't seen anything similar though recently.

My son has just bought a flat to the wall bracket for under £20, also works fine and can even padlock the locking bar to prevent easy removal from the wall.

TV's used to be much heavier for the same size, so these brackets are even less stressed than they used to be.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom