1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounts On Plaster Board

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by MD_London, Sep 8, 2004.

1. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone tell me how I can install a plasma wall mount on a plaster board partition wall? I realise it's not recommended but it's the only wall I have free.

I have full access to the timber frame as I have not plastered over the boards yet.

Thanks
    MD

2. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ideally you want to attach the mount to the timber frame, or insert extra timber where the frame will be mounted, especially since you have access to the frame at present

3. quattro

quattro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Fistly i would mark out where the mount is going to be possitioned, then get some 2"x2" or 3"x2" and runn battons top to bottom fix at both ends and then nogins between these for extra strength where the screws for the mount will be I would then mount a sheet of MDF 9mm board slightly smaller than the plama but bigger than the mounting bracket fixing it to the battons and nogins you put up, this will spread the load. I would then use bolts to fix the mount b4 you plasterboard around it and also run any cables.

4. MD_London

MD_London
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies. I will try to sort this out before my builder plasters over.

MD

5. Fluff

Fluff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Keene Electronics sell a specific bracket for plaster board (model no BT8001) for £79.99 + p&p. States it is good for up to 60 kgs.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    we reconmend you use a sheet of MDF instead of Plsterboard if possible as this gives a better load spread (using appropriate fixings) that said we have 50" units on plaster board no hassles!

7. novicegeek

novicegeek

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can I just say, I have been trawling these forums for a long long time re the same problem. The problem is, people just have different ideas, not all of them based on sound knowledge. I asked and asked but the consensus appears to be that it is not possible. I succumbed and finally asked a guy to come and installed it. He did it, he did a good job. BUT, he did it exactly like I would have done it. ONLY that I paid him money to do it.

No reinforcement. Just screwed it in using those toggle screw things (not the screws that came with the mount). Looks like it's staying. Hope this helps other people to prevent them forking out for something they can easily do themselves. Of course there will be guys out there who still doubt the strength of the plasterboard. All I can say is, you won't get a straighter answer than this.

8. novaya_zemla

novaya_zemla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been attaching heavy weights to plasterboard for years - you can do it directly but you had better be sure those top bolts won't pull out..... Best do as HD suggests ie; put a sheet of MDF over the area to help spread the load, the advantage to this is that you can get a few more fixings in to secure the board before attaching the mounts. Best of luck (Just watch those top bolts)

9. MBaigent

MBaigent

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am getting a 38Kg Pioneer (plus approx 2Kg wall mount bracket) delivered tomorrow. The wall I wish to install onto is a plasterboarded old fireplace. The wall above the fireplace is lath and plaster and the horizontal ridge join is at about 1500mm height.
    I have bought 15 off 10mm fixing bolts. These bolts are raw type and are suitable for plasterboard and expand at the back when screwed in and then the screw is removed leaving a retaining plug. The screw is then re-inserted with the Plasma mounting screen .

I believe that I cannot fix onto the lath and plaster. Am I correct in this assertion?

Also can the plasterboard (even with say 12 bolts (each taking approx 3kg of load)) handle the shear forces?

Any advice would be well appreciated. Please email me .
    MILES.BAIGENT@SKY.COM

many thanks

regards

M

10. suniil

suniil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +402
    have a look at my sig., may be overkill for a 40kg plasma, but it can hold future upgrades as well :)

11. Tesla

Tesla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I am not a fan of using MDF and instead use sheets of timber. The construction of MDF means it's not as strong as a good sheet of timber.

Anyway, if your wall isn't plaster boarded yet then get the cables in the wall and a timber frame built now1

12. dbaplaya

dbaplaya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im just about to buy a panasonic 42pz70 and was wondering how to attach it onto a plasterboard wall. The wall is an outside wall but when i spoke to a guy in comet he advised that it was not possible to mount the plasma onto a plasterboard wall?
    The batons that are to be placed into the wall - do they need to be vertical or horizontal?
    thanks
    dave

13. dbaplaya

dbaplaya
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to add the depth from the breeze block (outside wall) is 2 inches.
    Ive just taken a plug socket out and measured the depth.
    what type of wall plugs could i use?
    im slightly worried that the tv wont be able to go on the wall :(

14. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    up :D

15. enigmatic

enigmatic
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    You may want to consider mounting to your exsisting brickwork with steel threaded rods held inplace by resin glue this will give a sold fix to mount the plate to.

all you will need to do is cut away the gypsum board drill a pilot hole, fill with resin and tap the rods into place ensuring the remain level while it sets (which it does pretty quick) then make good again. as for cable run simply cut a hole where you want to start (most start behind where the tv will mount) then find your exit point if your planning on connecting to an exsisting power outlet.

you can also use grommets from any desk warehouse or electrical outlet boxes, the choices are endless. i've done a few of these now and there is always something new to think about so dont worry if your a bit lost for the time being it will all come together :D