wall mounts off e-bay - Are they any good?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by sensiblemark, Jun 1, 2008.

1. sensiblemark

sensiblemark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Member252055

Member252055

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Hi.

Quite a common question this one, here's my take on it.

Functionally there's nothing really to seperate the cheap e-bay brackets from the more expensive alternatives when it comes to flat or tilting brackets. They'll all hold up your TV and there's no problem with the safety of the cheaper versions as most of them are mass manufactured, tried and tested products.

The difference comes in two places as far as I'm concerned;

1. Finer detail; Check the specs of the brackets and look at details like minimum depth (the cheaper brackets tend to be deeper and hold your TV further from the wall). For example the tilting bracket you have listed has a depth of 8cm and our alternative, which yes is more expensive, is only 6cm from the wall. This makes a big difference to the aesthetics, especially on the medium sized screens. Also check full compatibility, although these days as the screens begin to further standardise this is less of an issue. With articulated brackets it is definitely worth paying extra for the piece of mind of a fully independantly tested product, look for a GS/TUV mark or something similar.

2. Customer Service; I'm not banging my own drum here but I do believe that it's worth paying extra for good service and support. Ok, if you're an installer or DIY Pro then you don't need that support. For the rest of us though, try calling Amazon if you need some different sized screws or if you want to know whether the cables will stick out of your TV and intefere with the bracket.

Graham's final thought....

These wall brackets are like hatchback cars; There's loads of them around which basically do the same job but some are a lot more expensive than others. It basically comes down to design, quality and service and how much you're happy to pay for the best of those three things.

Best Regards
    Graham

3. sensiblemark

sensiblemark
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0