1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by monocle, Jun 11, 2003.

1. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK guys,

My LG Plasma will be delivered on Friday and I want to mount it on the wall. I would like it fairly high up to stop small children and cats from getting at it. However, I don't want it above the fireplace, which unfortunately, in my lounge, looks like the most obvious place. The chimney breast sticks out and there are two inset walls either side. If I mount the plasma flat against one of these walls, it will only be viewable from certain places in the room. I'd like to buy a wall bracket with an arm so I can swing the plasma out and point it in any horizontal direction I please. Is there a bracket that can do this? Where can I get it from? and finally please don't tell me it cost £500!! Otherwise any other suggestions bearing in mind the cat and the kids!

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could place a perpsex sheet over the screen, and wrap around the sides. Shouldn't cost more than £10 or £20 and protect the screen, allowing you to place the Plasma at eye level.

3. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Why do you not want it above the fireplace? By the sound of your lounge it's very similar to mine, I mounted mine above the fireplace and it looks fantastic!

4. monocle

monocle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I realy don't want it above th fire place because I don't want my screen to melt when I the fire is lit. We have an open fire and although we don't light it that often I think I would be very wary of putting the screen above it. I really do want it on the wall though. Anyone know where I can buy a good wall bracket for around £150-200?

5. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  6. mark raeburn

mark raeburn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    You can still have a plasma on the wall and have a lit fire. Apparently a good test is to attach a candle onto the fireplace where the plasma will be, start the fire, and if the wax melts then it’s too hot. However I have read that if it is too hot then the plasma should not come to any harm if it is switched off. It’s all to do with the internal circuits getting to hot while in use. Check on the forums and you should find information on this.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err neck strain?

And I wouldn't be suprised placing a Plasma above the screen will void the warranty, regardless if the Plasma is on/off when the fire is lit.

If a engineer comes round he'll probably write a note in your warranty claim that the Plasma is above a fireplace.

8. JamesTapp

JamesTapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err, nope... it takes ten minutes to get used to it and then you forget it.

Above the fireplace is fine, although I wouldn't put it above an open fire, particles and smoke could cause damage where electric and gas fires are ok as long as you ensure that the heat transfer is not excessive.

James