1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounting

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by nheather, Oct 6, 2004.

1. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,552
    A quick question to those that have wall mounted LCDs.

In my view the main point to wall mounting is the neatness so it is important that you don't end up with cables dangling from it.

So how have you manged the cabling that goes to the TV?

Obviously if you have a seperate AV unit it is pretty easy to hide the single cable and power in the wall and you still have opportunity to alter the connections at a later date.

But LCDs with seperate AV boxes are rare. In my case the AV amp will be doing the video switching so the only wires going to the TV will be a single SCART, power and terrestial aerial. I could hide these in the wall but that is pretty final and doesn't allow me to easily alter the connections in the future.

So out of interest what do you guys do.

Cheers,

Nigel

2. Cheenis

Cheenis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've wall mounted my LCD - I have not worked out a good reason for buying a flat panel and not wall mounting it - surely the point of getting them is to save space and that is really only achieved through wall mounting.

I'm not intent on staying in my house for a great deal longer so I haven't buried the cables in the wall, but simply hidden the cables using a covers that match the colour tone of my wall - it is far from perfect, but saves hassle.

Without totally destroying your wall and making things very permanent I think that the best option is to box them in, allowing you access at a later date, however make sure you make yourself a nice one! This option sounds like it will be horrible, but you can make it look reasonable and therefore the best compromise - the other alternative would be to sink a big groove in your wall and have an internal box system with a plaster board section which you can replace and remove easily, but each time this will require a re-skim and paint job.

I am yet to come across a nice solution that allows the flexibility of using a variety of inputs. I hope one will come about by the time I move.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    If you chase the wall out and put plastic trunking in, as long as the trunking is big enough for the connectors at the end of the cables through, then you can easily pull new cables through or remove the existing ones.

I did this when I wall mounted my plasma - cut the wall out, put in plastic trunking from B&Q and then plastered and painted over the trunking so you can't see it at all. There is hole directly behind the screen and at the bottom of the wall (behind the AV cabinet) fot the cables to come out.

So all cables are removable and I could, if needed, feed additional ones through the trunking.

HTH

John