Wall mounting - worth doing it yourself?

jimdriver2

Established Member
Reaction score
Planning on wall mounting my 55" C9 when I move home soon.

Obviously want to ensure it's safe but what seems like good quality and easy to install wall mounts cost approx .£40 on Amazon. When I've got a few quotes from people online I've had prices between £150-£230. Seems like a crazy markup for what should be a 1 hour job at most.

Interested in opinions from others about how they went about their wall mounting for LG's OLEDs. Is the extra cost worth the money?

suppose it comes down to how much you value the TV and how well you want it attached to the wall.

if you're paying >£1000 for a TV are you willing to trust a £40 amazon bracket? or is getting in something who know what they are doing "worth the extra cost"?

how much would it cost you to replace the TV if it fell off the wall?

Yep I suppose that is the key question to ask, along with how confident I am in my ability to mount it properly myself...

That's why I'm after opinions, if others have found it easy and pretty much risk free doing it themselves then that is worth factoring in.

it will depend entirely on what the wall material is, how confident you are in drilling holes (and have the correct tools) and using the correct mounting options for the type of wall.

one person finding it easy doesn't really mean much as they might be experience in doing such things, wheras another person say it's impossible because they haven't do it before.

which category do you fall into? and do you have all the required tools to do the job? along with knowing what mounting options you need for the type of wall?

if a qualified person was quoting £150 to do the job then, for me, i would take that option.
i would be confident attempting it myself, but £150 removes all the hassle from me and puts it on to someone else.

Yep I suppose that is the key question to ask, along with how confident I am in my ability to mount it properly myself...

That is the key question here, if you are good with your hands and DIY in general you maybe ok to do it all yourself.

No harm in watching a few youtube videos either I followed this one here:

If you got the diy skills and tools, there are a few things to check here. Brick wall or plasterboard?

Both require different set ups, brick wall a heavier drill to get the bolts in but its more quicker and easier. Plasterboard you should aim to use solid bolts going into the plasterboard wall studs (wooden beams being the plasterboard) you can get special magnets and tools to detect it behind the wall like in the video posted above.

I used heavy duty Togglers rated like 8x more weight then I required and used 9 in total way over the recommended amount and also used bolts going into my wall studs on my plasterboard. Then I hanged an old heavy tv on it overnight and knew it was fine, backed up with accidental insurance just in case.

If you get a decent brand one like one for all wall bracket they come with a diagram so you know where to position your tv and where to drill bolts saving time and making it easier if doing it yourself.

So depends on so many things, but if in doubt get a pro in and its a good idea to have your TV ready so he can see where it mounts up he can then see your wall type and perhaps recommend a good wall mount bracket for you, also if you get a large cardboard sheet (tape some together) and make it to the size of your tv screen you can pin it on your wall with blue tack or drawing pins it gives you and the installer an idea where your tv should sit on the wall making the job much easier and quicker I did this trick when installing it myself to get the tv positioning right.

Plasterboard you should aim to use solid bolts going into the plasterboard wall studs (wooden beams being the plasterboard) you can get special magnets and tools to detect it behind the wall like in the video posted above.

unfortunately builders don't usually take into consideration where the studs should be placed in relation to where a TV might be mounted :)

I guess to the generation wtf is diy. I purchased a slim line bracket and it was a. 30min. job with. no. drama. Know you wall typed, purchase quality and check for pipes and wires.

I also ran the wires within the partition so it looked super cool, none of that trunking nonsense you would get from an installer.

none of that trunking nonsense you would get from an installer.

surely that's down to what you ask the installer to do.

at the end of the day though, £150 (as an example of a quote in the opening post) is nothing compared to the price of the TV.

That's why I'm after opinions, if others have found it easy and pretty much risk free doing it themselves then that is worth factoring in.

Believe me I'm no DIY expert, but I installed a wall bracket for our previous TV, and it stayed on there for about 15 years.

The bracket was very similar to the one below, which I've just bought to mount my brand new 55" TV. It's going into a solid brick wall.

unfortunately builders don't usually take into consideration where the studs should be placed in relation to where a TV might be mounted :)

Yeah that is another biggy, finding a trustworthy tradesmen or should I say a good one.

You do get some work arounds, some install solid wooden boards behind the plasterboard to the studs or even a timber bar on the front of the wall to most of the studs making it more secure.

If you use the right bolts also like snap togglers or better you can mount the tv almost anywhere.

It's not a difficult job if you're remotely DIY competent and can follow a youtube vid.

A £40 bracket, as long as it's the right size for your TV will be more than up to the job.

Yeah its 300 x 200

here is the one I got its very similar but slightly different model:

Amazon product ASIN B01IVQVOS6
It did come with the diagram and instructions to get the tv adjustments right on the wall to make the job much easier.

Best to make sure which ever wall mount you use supports your vesa mount measurements just in case, but it may still work with other vesa measurements.

I went for this one later on:

Amazon product ASIN B07QKWK532
nothing wrong with the other one but just wanted to redo my job, much prefer the one above for simplicity and its more closer to the wall also and has vibration pads.

Planning on wall mounting my 55" C9 when I move home soon.

Obviously want to ensure it's safe but what seems like good quality and easy to install wall mounts cost approx .£40 on Amazon. When I've got a few quotes from people online I've had prices between £150-£230. Seems like a crazy markup for what should be a 1 hour job at most.

Interested in opinions from others about how they went about their wall mounting for LG's OLEDs. Is the extra cost worth the money?
Is that really how much it costs? Kind of glad I am getting John Lewis to do the wall mount of the LG G1 for me when it arrives. Was £125 which I thought was reasonable.

That video I posted above perhaps not best for the nervous DIY... but if you watch it properly he shows which fittings can weigh more and the best ones do 100kg + weights, most tvs are much much lesser so less worry.

Is that really how much it costs? Kind of glad I am getting John Lewis to do the wall mount of the LG G1 for me when it arrives. Was £125 which I thought was reasonable.

125 quid from JL is excellent but how much was the wall mount for the G1?

125 quid from JL is excellent but how much was the wall mount for the G1?
Comes with the TV as it doesn't come with a table stand as far as I'm aware.

surely that's down to what you ask the installer to do.

at the end of the day though, £150 (as an example of a quote in the opening post) is nothing compared to the price of the TV.
TV cost is not relevant, that simply implies you don't know what your doing. I never had anything fall down. Google/Utube it and you see many good example of a job done properly.

I had a quote for wiring an AV room a while back and the installer came up with more issue than it was worth. He didn't want to make holes in the pasterboard etc etc. Did the work myself in the end

TV cost is not relevant, that simply implies you don't know what your doing. I never had anything fall down. Google/Utube it and you see many good example of a job done properly.

well it is relevant really.
spending £150 to wall mount a TV worth £200 would certainly not be worth it

and it certainly doesn't imply you don't know what you're doing.

i could certainly do it myself, however i'd rather pay someone to do it. that's what tradesmen are for and i can spend my time doing something else :)

not sure i'd be trusting a £1500 TV on anything with the word "basic" in the description 😂

Was even more fun hearing the girl from Domestic & General telling me we don't cover tvs falling off the wall....

i notice the spec says "VESA compliance: 600 x 400".
the LG CX is 300x200 isn't it?

That's the maximum. Reading from the box I have in my hand, it's good for the following VESA specs:-

100x100
200x100
200x200
300x200
300x300
400x200
400x300
400x400
600x400

Comes with the TV as it doesn't come with a table stand as far as I'm aware.

Bargain then I would have done same, that G1 being so flat against the wall is going to be heaven.

Not sure why Sony and other OLEDs adding so much bulk in their behinds.

Was even more fun hearing the girl from Domestic & General telling me we don't cover tvs falling off the wall....

I'd better put a few cushions underneath the thing for the first couple of nights then :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom