1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounting ...what height should it be?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by alliwant, May 2, 2005.

1. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am along with many others awaiting the reviews of the new PV500. It seems on paper to have all i would desire, however i am concerned about wall mounting the tv. The viera's seem to be very bulky? Does anyone think that they look stupid wall mounted? Whats the correct height to mount the TV? I have noted that quite a few people have made negative comments about TV's being to high when mounted over a fireplace? :lesson:

Thanks for reading

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Some people have reported neck strain when viewing a screen which is mounted above the mantelpiece.

3. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I think its a matter of taste and room geometry. I was going to put my PW7 on the mantelpiece but it looked too high, so I sort of mounted it in/on the (wooden) fireplace. I personally think the Viera's look a bit odd and bulky when wall mounted, but plenty of people do wall mount them and seem quite happy.

lisa

4. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny, I seriously considered a Viera instead of a panel specifically because I thought that that curved bit at the bottom of the screen that would curve back towards the wall would make it look less bulky than a 7 series panel when wall mounted.

The Panny web site shows the Viera as being 97mm thick and the 7 series panel as 89mm thick. Does that 8mm really make a difference or do you also need more space behind for some reason? (Or are there other factors at play that trick the eye into noticing the thickness more on a Viera?)

- Julian

5. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    [​IMG]

From the THX specifications for movie theaters:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The vertical viewing angle is measured at seated eye height from the front row center seat to the top of the tallest projected image. SMPTE standard EG-18-1994 notes that:

"for most viewers physical discomfort begins when this angle exceeds 35 degrees. We strongly recommend that the layout of the auditorium adheres to this engineering guideline."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This guideline would be difficult to exceed in a home theater, with most vertical viewing angles in the 15-20 degree range. See the diagram above for an example.

The THX cinema standards have no references to a "best" or "optimal" vertical viewing angle. However, normal human vision's optimal cone of vision has a radius of about 15 degrees. From this anything in the range of 10-20 degrees would be good. With larger values causing increased eye and neck strain.

Attached Files:

6. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
  7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I spend my life encouraging my customers to mount them lower. Most are obsessed with the look of the thing at standing eye level. Not AV savvy folks, these people of course. The middle of my own screen is at eye level sitting, or thereabouts. The base is 780mm up from floor level. Tis puts the centree of the projection screen that fits in front a bit high, but life is a compromise.

8. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I am thinking more of how it looks from the front, thicker bezel and that silver bit along the bottom. The PW7 panels have thinner frames and look a little more minimalist.

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    It's the blooming great ears on the side that spoil it for me. They might be thin as speakers go, but they are huge for a plasma bezel. A certain member of the royal family springs to mind.

10. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    And his wife is no looker either!! :D

Sorry ..... I'm reaching for my coat as you read this! :rolleyes:

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Don't forget your trousers, you look such a berk with the pants showing.

12. bigfatsi

bigfatsi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not buy reclining chairs? That way you can rest your neck and still have line of sight. It means that whatever your height you will be able to find a comfortable seating position. ;)

13. nathanf

nathanf
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I agree. My dad has a 37pw4 and I have a 5.
    He wall mounted his way too high (looks like eye level when standing).
    Especially with him having a low sofa, after 2 minutes viewing your neck starts hurting.

I have mine on feet at sitting eye level and it looks waay better IMO.

14. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    agree wiv Horny ..a lifetime of neck ache and a dodgy spine is what you get for looking up at a screen - any Occupational health person will tell you its important to have your neck and spine stright at eye level so you view straight on or a bit lower if ya like. How many of you stare UP at a PC screen please???

My case rests.... :D :clap:

regards

Dil

15. Rahmorak

Rahmorak

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think that is something of a generalisation, some people may be aware the screen should be mounted lower (and the reasons for it) but they mount it higher than the AV ideal for a number of reasons.

Whether you agree or not, aesthetics are a valid reason for some (myself included) so long as the viewing position is still comfortable.
    The bottom of my Fuji is about 110cm from the ground and it is very comfortable to watch (certainly I find it just as comfy as the 7 year old, and lower, RPTV I had), but it looks a lot more pleasing.

16. tim k

tim k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the main problem is the plasma has adopted a certain amount of a hanged pictures traits, and in that i mean it should look like a hung painting, and therefore should be somewhere in the middle of the wall, mounting it below, or higher would look strange. I mounted mine just below half way of the wall, it is just a bit above eye level but not too high to give me neck ache.

Personally i think it would look stupid at the bottom of the wall, and with todays modern sofas that would be the perfect viewing height.