1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounting Viera PV or PE 37" Plasma + other questions.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Bobajobbob, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Bobajobbob

Bobajobbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi guys. I am looking for some advice here as I consider which plasma to blow my hard earned cash on.

I have a space issue which is influencing my choice of screen at the moment and somebody here might be able to give me some help.

My problem is that I am limited in the space I have for a floor standing screen to just over 1 metre. This is giving me headaches because my first choice of the 37" PV500 is 104cm wide. the PE50 is considerably less, about 90-95 cms if my memory serves me correctly.

I had not initially considered wall mounting the screen because the corner of the room that I would like to use is actually curved and I do not believe that a normal mount could be attached to anything other than a flat surface.

A possible solution is if it is possible to use a custom mount with an arm to support these screens. It is possible with smaller LCDs as I have seen extending arms which allow you to move the position and angel of a screen. If this were possible I could mount the arm on a flat part of the wall and then still position the screen against the rounded part of the wall with the arm concealed behind the screen. I must admit that I doubt this is possible due to the weight of a plasma but it is worth asking the question if anyone else has considered it.

If not then I will have to bite the bullet and go for the PE over the PV and hope that the lack of HD will in the real world actually make little difference to my enjoyment.

Last but not least is it possible to hook up a Mac or PC to the Pe50? I knwo that there is no DVI input but can it be done with a less actractive VGA connection?

Last but last but not least has anyone out there purchased one of the new PE50 screens and can you give me an honest opinion of it? The TV will be used mostly for watching television (freeview and possibly sky) with the occasional DVD. I woudl also be interested in hooking up my Mac or PC in order to play wmv, divx or Xvid content if this is possible.

Sorry for all the question but I liek to be informed ;)

2. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,525
    Swinging wall mount available from RGB direct, about £300

There isn't a VGA connection on the PE50

3. asimmd

asimmd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi
    At work we have a 28" Widescreen tubed T.V on a single arm swivel bracket hanging off the wall in the canteen.
    The wall needed plating with I think 3/8 or 1/2 marine ply,but the arm was tested by a rather large contractor doing pull-ups on it.No problem.
    Regards
    Alan