Wall Mounting TV - My Walls Are Strange

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Essentials, Sep 10, 2012.

1. Essentials

Essentials
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I tried to wall mount my 40" TV yesterday, using an AmazonBasics Universal Wall Mount kit (http://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-Articulating-Universal-Wall-Mount/dp/B002TLTE6O).

The kit comes with a stud finder, which worked accurately to find solid patches in the wall.

Unfortunately that's all it could find, and I can confirm by knocking on the wall, it's solid here and there but not in any uniform fashion.
    The strange thing is this flat was built less than 5 years ago and is part of quite a large development of what at least look like well built flats, and the wall in question is between my living room and the communal hallway, so you would think it would be a normal stud wall.

Any pointers on what I should do next? I've got 6 holes in the wall (the mount needs 4), they're in a perfectly vertical row and only the two middle ones are going into solid material, with the two top and bottom ones the drill came out into a void space after maybe 2cm.

I could use some sort of anchor plugs designed for use in hollow plasterboard walls but I'd probably want to buy a different mount so I could at least spread the weight over a larger area of wall.

I've been scouring the web trying to figure out what type of wall this could possibly be, or if the builder's have just done something terribly wrong? Luckily I'm only renting (I have permission to wall mount my TV and surround sound :) ).

2. J-a-m-e-s_7

J-a-m-e-s_7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    If its fairly new then in all likelyness it will be dot and dab plasterboard. Easiest solution to your problem would be to get some rigifix fixings as these are best suited to your wall construction as the hardest thing to overcome when fixing to dot and dab is bridging the gap left between the wall and the adhesive/plasterboard. There are other ways but these are the simplest and best in my eyes. Do a search for them and you can read about them. The solid parts of the wall you find will be where the dabs of adhesive will be and this creates a gap between the wall explaing the hollow sounds. Any other questions just ask. Heres a link for you: http://markgrantcables.co.uk/shop/i...&cPath=49_37&zenid=9lrj470dka9ig975inmtp856u5

Regards
    James

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012