1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounting problem

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by jayzeer, Jul 18, 2004.

1. jayzeer

jayzeer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had planned on buying a Pio 434 & wall mounting above the electric fireplace. I've been told to:

1. consider the viewing angle as I will be sitting about 9' away & will be looking upwards to the screen - a bigger room would have reduced this

2. above fireplace, to consider heat coming up & also that the wall is probably not thick enough there as it would have the chimney running up it.

I was told by the salesman at a panasonic shop to consider getting a stand and put it next to the fireplace - ie. consider one of those new panny viera curvy stand plasma's...I would appreciate your advice as I was really close to going to buy the pio 434 & am now at square one again.....cheers

2. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    If viewing from about 9', I personally would not mount more than 1m above floor level.

I doubt the wall above the chimney would be too thin to mount a plasma - a single course of bricks would be OK assuming the wall is in good nick. Expanding bolts of the correct length would be fine.

You could test how hot the wall above the fire gets. Plenty of people on this forum have mounted above fireplaces in use with no ill effects.

3. Elvis

Elvis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say your biggest problem will probably be the height. I suggest you fix a piece of paper the size of your (potential) screen to the wall above your fireplace for a couple of days. See what you think, if looking at it feels uncomfortable then you'll need another solution. Wall mounting is preferable to a stand though, it's one of the major advantages of a plasma over more conventional technology.

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    alot of people find brackets that allow a forward tilt solves part of the "too high" issue but i don't know if this would put too much strain on the wall??

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    5 deg angle is fine and there are plenty of brackets available