1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounting Ploasma - How high?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by blue_tarragon, Oct 10, 2003.

1. blue_tarragon

blue_tarragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to put the Panny 6 on the wall tomorrow and want to get some ideas of the height it should be....

Read somewhere it is a good idea to have the screen at a "standing height" - does that mean your eyes are in the middle of the screen when you are standing up? I am 6`2 and that would seem way too high.

Will be seated about 8 feet away on sofas.

Any thouhgts very welcome.

Many thanks.

2. ziocleto

ziocleto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think if you are looking your plasma without move your neck then you're in the right way ;)

I dont like having plasma above the fireplace, too high IMHO.

3. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To me, it's a matter of personal taste, mine is mounted above the foreplace at "standing height" but then I always wtach from a recliining chair so my head position is always comfortable.

4. fuzzybee

fuzzybee
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The answer is an optimum height does not exist, it's what you feel confortable with, stick something on the wall roughly the size of the screen.
    I used a rug we had which was roughly the same size as the plasma, i placed it at different heights and just sat asking myself(and the wife)what we would be happy with.
    IMO it had to be at eye level when seated in your main seating position, we sit about 9-10 feet away and concluded the bottom of the plasma should be 900mm above floor level.
    We dont have a fire on our chimney breast just a hole with candles in and the plasma looks fantastic.

5. blue_tarragon

blue_tarragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys. We live in a barn with no fireplace - so the height can be anything we like really. I like the idea of putting something up on the wall the same size to test it out, and will do that.

Report to follow tomorrow - and will post a photo on "plasmas out for the lads"

Many thanks.

6. Tim_UK

Tim_UK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Best bet is to put a piece of cardboard size of plasma on wall and see what it looks like.

Bottom of my screen is 50 inches from floor - seemed really high at first as I was used to watching CRT on a low stand. Now it seems fine and is very much centrepiece of room !

7. miniman

miniman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I made an exact size frame from strip wood and duck tape (blue peter eat your heart out!), taped it to the wall and me and my good lady wife reclined the chairs and found the most comfortable position.