1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounting PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by hamd01, Jun 13, 2005.

1. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I just stuck the second coat of paint on the walls, and I need to think about chizzling for cables before I do the top coat. I have the new Sammy 32" LCD on order, and wonder if anyone could help?

How deep or wide should I make the channel into the wall?

Any hints or tips from someone that has done this would be great!

Thanks in advance

David

2. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI

I´ve done the same in my room and cramped all the cables in 2 VD pipes ( for electrical installations) :

1 VD 20mm2 - Cat5e for Lan
    2x1.5 audio cable for back speakers
    coaxial

1 VD 25mm2 - for Component OR HDMI link

The problem i had was.... after the installation and painting i found out that the 25mm2 had a small diameter and could only accommodate the 3 components or the hdmi.

Some Tips:

1- Check your needs: what types of cables do u need to install and Keep it simple (hdmi works fine)!
    2- Don´t forget to distance the power cable from the low voltage cables (install a power socket near the TV)
    3- Try to use the maximum diameter for tubes (inside the wall)
    4- Install an electrical box to have easy access to the cables.

I believe i have a photo of my installation somewhere.....

3. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I'd love to see a photo!!

4. Drifty

Drifty
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any good guides for hints and tips on wall mounting?

5. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Same question from me!

6. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Found the photos....

As u can see both channels are closed and ready for the paint, i believe you have to repaint the wall if u want to conceal all the cables inside the wall :eek:

Used 2 boxes for the A/V cables : bottom for acess to the A/V system and top for the wall mounted LCD (dont forget that u need to install the wall mount above the end box) . Next to this one i installed the power socket and the coax antena cable.

The blue wire is for LAN,connecting to a wireless :confused: LAN Modem/Router near the entrance and the speaker cable also runs across the wall and to the back speakers as seen in Pic2.

Of course this change was made at an early stage (completely empty room) and the cost was very low as i did everything by myself.

if u could show some pics of your installation that would be great. :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

7. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Forgot 1 thing... UK electrical installations are a tiny bit different from the Portuguese :lesson: but it all comes down to the same....

If i know know what i knew then... i would install 2 big 50mm wide plastic channels instead of the pvc tubes :oops: .

8. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Whats the story with the two massive cracks? Did they happen as a result if chizzling?

Im planning something slightly different to what you have done. Im going to dig a route out in the wall, from behind the TV, to behind the fireplace (which has a nice recces. Then the cable can go inside the fireplace and down, comming out where my AV equipment is.

Before I dig my wall, should I fot the wall bracket, or do that afterwards?

9. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya:

The cracks were completely covered by the paint and no one notices them :thumbsup: . The last time I was in the UK I noticed that the construction methods are very diferent therefore the insatlation procedure isnt the same :D .

Well if your planning to install the lcd on top of the fireplace try to route the cables away from the heat source :devil: and test the installation of the wall mount first.

Remember to check the orientation of the tv connectors (believe they're vertical ) so that u can guide them to the route.

Which sammy do u have on order? I'm planning to buy the LE32R51B :clap:
    Which wall mount are u planning to use? VESA 200*200(mm) from Samsung??

10. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I have the same TV on order, yes its a 200x200 VESA.... one I bought off eBay. Do you think I can fit the mount BEFORE the TV arrives, or do I need to wait?

11. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You bet ! Running cables diagonally under plaster would definately not be allowed ! Don't forget that as of Jan 1st 2005, all new wiring has to be inspected and passed by a qualified electrician, and he wouldn't pass that :thumbsdow

12. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said I don't know which electrical norms apply in the UK :confused: , the only reason why they don't accept running cables diagonally here in PT is to guarantee that the cables are easily found in the future :smashin:.

13. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Im still amazed that the crack covered up with paint.... you could have sky dived into there!! What paint did you use? TAR?

Only kidding mate.... cant wait to see a pic of the finished setup!

14. ajp558

ajp558

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Aren't those big "cracks" in the photos really the wires for the lights hanging down & across?

AJP

15. hamd01

hamd01

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    lol you could be right! Im sure if they are cracks you couldnt cover those buggers up with paint. An interesting optical illusion.

16. demostenes

demostenes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No ajp, the cracks cover up the tubes that run from the 2 boxes and from the power and antenna socket, the wires run inside the tubes (extra protection and easy acess).

I didn't paint that wall but I believe that the painter used a finishing coat on top of that crack and aplyed the paint afterwards.

I'm expecting the furniture to arrive next month :rolleyes: , so that i can begin equipping my living room :clap:. New apartment.... new toys :D

There's a good thread about plasma (or LCD) wall mounting with great photos:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78824&page=1&pp=15