Wall mounting plasma's over a fire place?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mph8873, Nov 6, 2005.

1. mph8873

mph8873
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys,

This may sound like a totally stupid question, but.... is it ok to wall mount a plasma over a fire place?

I have an open gas fireplace and simply assumed that it would be a stupid place to put the screen because of the heat coming from the fire but I've seen a few threads where people are doing just that. Does that mean it is ok, or does it mean that they are just making the fireplace redundant?

It's the only place I can get away with wall mounting otherwise I will need to opt for a cabinet.

2. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Have a search, plenty of threads on this topic like this one. Personally I wouldn't unless you don't plan on using the fire much.

3. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    It is also a pretty unnatural height to watch t.v. at - the usual recommendation is to watch either at just below or at eye line when seated. Personally I would not like to be sat looking up at my t.v. all evening. I'm sure those who have mounted their t.v.s at a higher level will immediately post to defend their decision, however, the height recommendation has been tested scientifically and is not one I have made, but is one that I wholeheartedly agree with.

4. Fossil

Fossil
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Personally I think it is all down to personal preference and space/circumstances. We have our plasma above the fireplace, which we checked to ensure there wasn't going to be excessive amounts of heat.
    We have no problem with the viewing height at all, others may have but thats just us. We wished to increase space and remove clutter from our living room so we went for the wall mounting and windows mce from our pc in another room. All we have in the living room now is the plasma and surround sound system.

5. dando

dando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have ours above the fireplace and its perfect viewing. I believe, as I have said before, I dont see the point of buying plasma if u dont wall mount them. I also think that they are designed, first and foremost, for watching films and when you go to the cinema, the screen is set slightly higher than eye level.

6. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    MPH - only responding cos you've had 2 that have responded nay!

If you are a free thinking person who has come here to find out all your options and you don't mind going against the scientifically tested recommendation. Switch the fire on and use a thermometer to decide if really does get too hot above your fireplace and decide for yourself which route you'd like to take.

If you think it will be too neck jarring then test this by using a cardboard cutout that is similar in size to your intended screen and place it at various positions.

7. UKseless1

UKseless1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Well there you go, I didn't need to respond, you go 2 for and 2 against :)

8. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    We were able to build our fireplace (height and width) for the specific purpose of installing the plasma above. The plasma is higher than it would be if it was on a conventional floor stand, but it doesn't look too high and hasn't created any problems (with our necks or heat related ;) ) in the couple of months it's been in place.
    I can post picture if you want, but it's essentially an inglenook 'style' fireplace (deep and wide) with a coal effect (gas) fire within.

Good luck, at least you're doing your research :)
    Dave.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +768
    Well it might be in the cheap seats, but not from where I sit in my local cinema it isn't :D . Apparently it is all to do with how the eye focuses, and if you are looking up then the eye is optimised for distance and not for viewing t.v. etc.

10. paddeo

paddeo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fossil and Dando,

What height, from the floor, are your plasmas mounted?

Thanks

Pat

11. Fossil

Fossil
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ours is 1.4m from the floor.

12. mal60908

mal60908

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bottom of mine 1.1m from floor, click on PV500 in my signature for pics.

13. acrmorris

acrmorris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have mine mounted above the fireplace because I tend to slouch on the sofa. I actually found it uncomfortable watching the old CRT when it was on the stand on the floor! Purely a personal preference though.