1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounting Plasma TV

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by minisisme, May 23, 2005.

1. minisisme

minisisme
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise on wall mounting a plasma TV? I'm hoping to purchase a Panny 37" PV500. My problem is, it's going to have to go on a studded wall. Will the fixing plate be safe with cavity fixings? I'll try to get at least 2 into framework but one side will be in plasterboard only (useful for hiding cables though!) I don't want to batten wall as this would make screen stick out too far.

2. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldnt feel comfy mounting something as heavy or expensive as that with just cavity fixings. I would try and find a joist or worst case senerio is to cut the plaster out and batten it inside the cavity and then re plaster etc.

3. dealstokie

dealstokie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Im going to have the same problem.
    Just bought a second hand one of here ( 37" 4.3aspect )
    I wont enev be able to screw into the fram work.

I have to say I have a 15" lcd monitor ( I know is much mcuch smaller ) on another cavity wall, and that is only held up by 2 screws and some picture frame wire!!! ----- Works a treat :clap: :clap: :clap: Not to clever though :nono: :nono:

What I might do depending on the mounting plate, is to make some extra holes. So I can fix more screws to the wall, and fing the biggest plasterboard rawplugs going. Dont know if its a great idea ( and plese dont try this at home :eek: )

4. Enquirer

Enquirer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I had to show the above post to my wife and she thinks its a wind up! Surely no one is that careless with a product you are joking aren't you ?
    It wont be long before some one is killed by a DIY'er with a plasma falling on them for not doing a proper job.

Sometimes you HAVE to do what you don't want to to make it safe!

I would like to be able to stick plasmas up with blue tack but guess what you can't.

Maw made a point on another post about them not being that heavy and that some mirrors and pictures are heavier (and more expensive )Nowadays! but Maw has mounted (ohhh errr) over 1000 plasmas and i am damn sure he knows what type and size of fixings to use in various situations.

I myself must have fitted over 200 plasma wall mounts and sometimes you do have to cut out the plaster board and re-enforce the framework.

5. alliwant

alliwant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt use the biggest plasterboard rawplugs most only support around 8kg?? if the cavity backs onto a proper wall then drill through and use some compression plugs. you can get different types or even cut down some m8 threaded rod. if it backs onto plaster board for the other side, then i would locate the wooden joists. You can get detectors from B & Q that can tell you where they are. Last resort cut out the plaster...far cheaper and easier than trying to glue the glass back to your broken plasma...

Unless its a Tiny...in which case let it fall you will be doing your self a favour :)

6. bix

bix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm planning on mounting a plasma on a dry lined wall but luckilly there's block behind so I think i'll put some rawl bolts in then replace the bolt with a long bolt and compress the mounting plate against the plasterboard.

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The other option on plasterboard is some 10mm or so MDF. Screw that to the studwork, and mount your bracket on to the MDF. It amy add 1/2 an inch to the mounting depth, but you know it's up there for keeps. MDF is strong.