1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounting Plasma onto thermalite blocks?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by steve 111, Jul 22, 2004.

1. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Plasma (42" PWD6) comes on Monday and i've taken Tuesday off to mount.

My wall construction are those lightweight thermalite/aircrete blocks with then plasterboard on top and then a plaster skim to finish.

What wall fixings have people used to mount their plasmas on this type of wall construction (fairly common in recently built houses).

2. junpit

junpit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

My house is also quite new and the wall is plasterboard. I put my 42" plasma up and used 8 of those metal screws that open up at the back when screwed in.

Generally the plasterboard is normally nailed to wooden batons which run vertically on top of your breaseblocks. If possible, you should find these batons and then you can screw right through the plasterboard onto these. This will ensure your plasma never comes down as it is secured directly to wood.

Unfortunately due to the position required on my wall, I was unable to use the batons on my wall and had to do what I have mentioned above.

I would be very careful with plasterboard. It isn't capable of taking half the weight of the average plasma normally. I was constantly looking at the wall mount, just to make sure that it wasn't coming away from the wall. Anyway provided you use the screws I have mentioned, you should be fine.

Test it out first. After putting the wall mount up, try and pull it off with all your might. If you can't pull it off and your quite strong, don't worry too much.

3. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    common advice I've seen here is to remove a couple of pieces of plasterboard, put a couple of wood batons in the slots and fix these to the wall and then the mount to the batons. as for thermalite, if you do a search for "thermalite mount" there is a thread called "mounting Panic" or something like that where one of the replies gives the exact fixings you need.

4. Anthony UK

Anthony UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just put my Pioneer 434HDE on the wall in my house. I was concerned when i drilled into the plasterboard and thermalite brick as it was so soft! So i out four M8 studs thru the whole external wall with big FO washers on the outside. Now the plasma is going nowhere without a small nuclear explosion.

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
  6. SimonO

SimonO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +64
  7. codlord

codlord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have done this and written at least two detailed posts on it, do a search on my username and the keyword "plasterboard" and you should find them, they might be useful to you.

8. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,688
    Stupid question time :blush:
    Are you sure there thermalites , I was a bit concerned when I was mounting mine , only to discover that they were proper concrete blocks :clap: .Had to get the hammer drill out instead of the cordless :mad: ;) .
    If they are thermalites there are proper thermalite fixings available , think they are mentioned on jasonjo's site

all the best
    john

just had another look at jasonjo's site and they are there , the fischer twist ones :smashin:

9. steve 111

steve 111
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for all the advice.

A box of the Fischer Twist Lock plugs are on there way.

Jasonjo - thanks for the link, very useful.

10. shrimp3r

shrimp3r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +235
    I found this while researching for my wall mount plans, just what I needed - thhanks. One question, is your wall dot and dab?

Regards

Mark Mac

11. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    No, just rendered straight over the blocks and then plaster skimmed.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List