1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wall mounting my plasma , scared about screws

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by DarkBytes, Feb 25, 2005.

1. DarkBytes

DarkBytes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all
    I have an NEC4210w plasmasync 42 inch panel that weighs

Now I have purchased a wall mount for this , the vivanco wms 3260 ps
    its a universal tilting mount , the website states that it is compatible with my plasma

now what is scary are the screws that attach the plate to the screen
    they are 8 m4x10's 4 on each side. I have looked at official NEC mounts and they too use the m4x10 bolts too. But the thing is there so tiny, I an so scared that the screws will somehow pop or shear and the plasma will fall.

Its not the plasma that concerns me , its the fact I have 2 small children in the house and if i fell on them , it would kill them

Does anyone here have an 42 nec that they have wall mounted , and can they give me some assurance that these small screws will be fine ?

the plasma weighs 33kg, the mount itself supports upto 50kg and as I say comes with screws for many different plasmas, mine being the smallest sert of screws in the bunch :p

:lease:
    I am not worried about the wall mount screws as i will get some heavy duty ones that will go into a brick chimney breast.

could someone give me some guidence it would be most appreciated

2. booyaka

booyaka
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,156
    Haven't got the same screen but i had concerns over the size of the screws that i used to mount my mates PW7 onto the bracket the other night- they seemed really small but i used the plastic spacers that were supplied and once we bit the bullet to mount the plasma it seems to be fine :smashin:

They we only about 40mm long

I hope it's fine cause i think he won't be my mate if it falls off the wall!! :eek:

3. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    If you have any doubts about the fixings supplied with the mount then I'd use something stronger.

I used these and I'm certain that they wont come loose!

4. adeyb

adeyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    the shear force on a bolt like the one that fixes into the back of the screen is about 10 tonnes, dont worry about it!

5. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The screws Steve Zodiac recommended are what I used to mount my Panny 42" to the wall and they're rock solid.

6. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    My mistake, these are no good from plasma screen to mounting plate! I should read more carefully!!

7. Kell

Kell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Opps, me too

8. DarkBytes

DarkBytes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well that makes me feel a little better

but for reference here is a picture of the screws, they basically will bolt the plate arms to the back of the plasma (4 on each side vertically ) .

its just scary these tiny bolts holding my plasma to the bracket

as you can see there are a variety of spacers and other bolts included , but I cant use them

Attached Files:

9. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used 8 x 90mm 'normal' screws with double-depth wall plugs to mount my 30kg Pio434 to the wall, using the Pioneer bracket - it hasn't fallen off the wall in 2 months! :eek:

10. DarkBytes

DarkBytes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dude
    its the bolts attaching the screen to the bracket that concerns me , not the bracket to the wall

11. dave0523

dave0523
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ah, me bad :lesson:

6 x M6 hex head screws secure the brackets to the back of my screen, slightly over engineered if anything!!

12. DarkBytes

DarkBytes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    no problem :) a little thicker then mine , but i guess i am safe

btw the bracket is going for a sweet price,if u google it, it cost me 50 pounds :) an get this one pound fifty delivery , and it came by courier :thumbsup:

13. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Those NEC screws are entirely normal and very definitely strong enough. I don't know about 10 tons, but a hell of a lot of weight. Your entire family could swing off the plasma and it would never move. Plasmas are really not very heavy, and being flat the loading on the screws is pretty light. You don't need to be paranoid about them, or the ones to fix it all to the wall.

14. DarkBytes

DarkBytes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well after a few hours of worry and sweat , I am afraid paranoia took over, and I took the plasma off the wall.

the vivanco universal wall mount I got , only 3 of the 4 screw holes lined lined up correcty( note these are the tiny m4x10 screws that attach the plasma to the bracket) , and 2 of those are located in the slots not the holes, if you look at this box picture you may get an idea of what I mean
    here
    if you look at the two verticle bars , from the top down, i have only one screw in the small hole part, the next screw hole is hidden , then the bottom two are screwed into the slit part.
    I hung the plasma for an hour , but I could not relax , with the thought of it falling down , with my young children playing near it.
    So know its behind the sofa and I just dont know what to do :(

15. davegtt

davegtt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I used 4 bolts last night to secure the plate to the plasma. didnt seem much but hey, you cant exactly get anything bigger can you considering the NEC was designed for it. if it did fall off (presuming/hoping it didnt hit your children then NEC or the wall mounting bracket manufacturers will have some conpensation to pay. I seriously doubt you should be worried. they wouldnt be in production if there was any sort of concern over them :)

good luck.

Dave