Wall mounting my 48" TV to single metal stud

ash1824

Novice Member
Fellow community, I need your help!

I am trying to wall mount my 48" Samsung TV (weight approx 12kg) but things are not going to plan.

I've got the wall mount and purposely went for one with a vertical mounting fix so that it can be fixed into a single stud. However I did not account for the fact my wall has metal studs (not wood).... Why can't people build houses with traditional materials!?

So my problem now is I have 3 vertical pilot holes into a metal stud, I have a wall mount that can't span multiple studs, I don't have any of the right fixings (if there are any for metal), and I have an increasingly angered other-half.

My thoughts are I could possible use some decent metal toggle bolts and proceed as I would with normal screws. Does anyone have any experience on this? I'm not entirely sure how much a metal stud can handle in terms of load.

As I said, tv weighs around 12kg. The bracket is another few kg and it is a full arm swing meaning I could move left/right (although this will be rarely done).

Do people think I can still mount to the metal stud or am I screwed?

I shall try attach some pics. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    560.5 KB · Views: 40

ash1824

Novice Member
Ps. This is all part of my mini 'home theatre' build. Hopefully I can get past this and crack on minting my new wonderful monitor audio speakers.

Pic of mount:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 51

owen021173

Do you have any emulsion left to touch up the wall??
Cut a4" wide strip of plasterboard out using the side of the metal stud a guide. Insert a piece of 4"X1" timber into the wall void, fix top and bottom of the hole/strip cut-out with 38mm dry wall screws and then screw the cut out back in place.
You should onl.y be left with a saw cut width to fill I and touch up with paint once dry and sanded flat [emoji106]

ash1824

Novice Member
Thanks for your help.

What should I secure the 4x1 piece of wood to?

I understand about cutting out the dry wall and positioning wood behind it but not sure what I can secure the wood to which the drywall wouldn't already be fixed to... Therefore surely the metal stud would offer just the same security?

Really appreciate your help! I'll go pop out and get some timber tomorrow.

Do you have any emulsion left to touch up the wall??
Cut a4" wide strip of plasterboard out using the side of the metal stud a guide. Insert a piece of 4"X1" timber into the wall void, fix top and bottom of the hole/strip cut-out with 38mm dry wall screws and then screw the cut out back in place.
You should onl.y be left with a saw cut width to fill I and touch up with paint once dry and sanded flat [emoji106]

owen021173

Screw it top and bottom through the plasterboard. For example, if you cut out the hole 100mmx 500mm, you should be able to slide in a 1m(1000mm) piece of 4x1. I would think the minimum cavity you have on the stud work is 50mm so it will be tight but should squeeze in. Put a long screw in the timber first at 250mm from the top edge so when you slide it in , if it drops, it won't disappear down the cavity. Use screw to pull timber back up for screwing.
Drywall screws come in two flavours- fine thread for mf( metal) and course thread for timber.
Usually when fixing something to metal stud it's good practice to insert timber tight into the channel of the metal to give a good fixing through the metal into timber. You can do this but you'll still have to cut the plasterboard to get in so there's really no point. You could use the existing stud to fix to with fine threaded drywall screws but that's up to you. Try it first and have a pull on the bracket, if it doesn't work try plan B [emoji106]
Hope that helps

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom