Wall mounting Mordaunt Short Genie satelites

treadmill

Standard Member
Hi

Thinking of getting MS Genie package. I am doing up the lounge right now and was thinking about channelling the rear speaker cable into the walls and then getting it plastered over.

Can anyone tell me - do the satelites on the Genie system allow the cable to come out of the wall and feed through the stem of the stand ie so that the cable is hidden until it reaches the ports? Or will I have a small hole in the wall next to where the satelite is mounted?

Anyone done this already out there?

Would there be a better 5.1 package out there for similar price but with a smaller sub as the Genie's sub is actually huge and I'm not sure where it could go in the lounge!

Also was thinking about pairing this with a Pioneer VSX-AX2AV-S - Anyone had any experience of linking these?

Any help/advice gratefully received!

:confused:

G

gallium

The Genie 402 satellites have a rubber gromet in their stand that is removable to allow speaker cables to protrude through the center of the base to the terminals. So to answer your question, no you will not have a hole near the speaker. :) I have two 402s mounted on my rear wall, but have not yet hidden the cables (I'm lazy).

There is always a tradeoff between size and performance. I don't think that the sub is too huge (10" is pretty standard nowadays for sub-sats). It also makes a neat lamp / magazine table. :)

If you want something smaller, you might want to have a look at the canton CD-1 range, but there will be a sound tradeoff.

I have heard the Genies with the Pioneer AX2AV and they sound very dynamic. For music, I personally prefer the smoother sounding Marantz SR7500 (that's why I bought one), but the Pioneer will also do extremely well with the Genies. In my opinion, you won' t go wrong with the AX2AV.

treadmill

Standard Member
Thanks Gallium

Appreciate your response - Think I may well go ahead then with the Genies - just got to persuade the wife she needs a silver coffee table that just so happens to churn out 200w of bass!!

Is there a danger that the Pio amp is too powerfull for the Genies tho - will I damage the speakers by accident - or could one of my kids by turning up the volume too much? Genies satellites seem to be 100w vs the Pio 120-130w output no?

Thanks again for your time

G

gallium

treadmill said:
Thanks Gallium

Appreciate your response - Think I may well go ahead then with the Genies - just got to persuade the wife she needs a silver coffee table that just so happens to churn out 200w of bass!!

Is there a danger that the Pio amp is too powerfull for the Genies tho - will I damage the speakers by accident - or could one of my kids by turning up the volume too much? Genies satellites seem to be 100w vs the Pio 120-130w output no?

Thanks again for your time

Happy to help.

I don't think the Pioneer is overpowered... its better to have a stronger amplifier than a weak one which will introduce signal clipping that could damage the coils / cones. Obviously, if you try to pump 200W into each one, the coils will go up in smoke and the cones will be damaged from being over driven. :)

For a true indication of the power achievable through the amp, look at the maximum power consumption, multiply that by about 0.65 (amp loss) and divide by the number of channels that can be driven. That's about the best the amp is capable of in multi-channel surround. If you drive it as 2.1 for stereo, then obviously there would be much more power available.

e.g. For an amp rated at 480W max, with all 7 channels driven at the same time, you'd get at maximum around 45W RMS per channel with a decent amp, even if they claim 120W+/channel.

Which ever amp you chose, make sure that:
* You don't run the Genie satellites in pure direct mode. The 402s are not designed to render frequencies below 100Hz - trying to do so at moderate to large volumes will damage the cones. (Some people have done this and warped the aluminium drivers!)
* You set all your speakers to "small".
* Your amp's crossover is at least 100Hz.

The above points are applicable for any small sub-sat package, not only the Genies.

If you comply with the above, you can run them loud and they'll sound great. Genies are an incredibly articulate speaker and amplifier harshness will be rendered faithfully. You can't go wrong with having a better amp.

If I were you, I'd also consider the Denon 2805, Yamaha 757 and Onkyo 703, but the Pioneer will do fine as well.

treadmill

Standard Member
gallium said:
If I were you, I'd also consider the Denon 2805, Yamaha 757 and Onkyo 703, but the Pioneer will do fine as well.

Thanks Gallium - one of the reasons for going with the Pio amp is for the HDMI functionality. Ive heard really good things about the Yamaha 757 too but I am thinking about a Pio XDE screen which has some additional compatability with Pio amps such as menu screens for the amp on the panel, remote functionality etc.

BTW the settings you mentioned for the amp above eg small speakers and crossovers etc - is that easy to set or does it take a technical genius? I am a little worried about spending all that and the kids blowing it (literally!).

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
treadmill said:
Hi

Thinking of getting MS Genie package. I am doing up the lounge right now and was thinking about channelling the rear speaker cable into the walls and then getting it plastered over.

Can anyone tell me - do the satelites on the Genie system allow the cable to come out of the wall and feed through the stem of the stand ie so that the cable is hidden until it reaches the ports? Or will I have a small hole in the wall next to where the satelite is mounted?

Anyone done this already out there?

I too can confirm that you can channel the cable right under the base of the Genies and then feed the cable thro' the base - looks very neat. Oh, and the sound is the dogs kahunas.:D

treadmill

Standard Member
Thanks Woodywizz!

Can you also confirm that if I mount them on a side wall ie 90 degrees from panel that the stands in wall mount mode allow sufficient twist to allow the sound to point the right way rather than directed sideways across the room?

Ta very much
;)

Woodywizz

Distinguished Member
I confirm that the speakers can be turned sufficiently away from a side wall. The speakers effectively sit on the stand via a ball/socket joint which offers a lot of movement. I have my two rears positioned at ceiling height, pointing downwards slightly and inward. You will not be disappointed, they are very well constructed, stylish and even my Mrs loves the sub now.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom