wall mounting LG OLED G1 55"/65"

Gidoc

Novice Member
Hi all,
May be a silly question, planning to get 55"/65" G1 tv - I do not really know if my wall is ok to take the wall mount that comes with G1, it will be on the lounge wall, on the exterior its a brick wall, on the inside it is insulated so does appear to have plaster and studs. Any guidance will be appreciated. I am going to get it from John Lewis who will install it as well, I hope they will know what to do!
Haven't yet decided the size, thinking 65' may be too big!

mikej

It should be possible to mount the TV on your wall - it's just a case of doing it correctly and using the appropriate fittings.

Is it an external wall ? External walls in UK houses are usually 'solid' (bricks or blocks with a plastered surface) or 'dry-lined' (AKA 'dot and dab' - plasterboard stuck to a brick/block wall with blobs of adhesive). Internal walls are usually 'stud' walls (plasterboard/wooden studs), although downstairs walls can also sometimes be solid/brick.

If an external wall sounds hollow in places, then (provided the plaster is sound and not 'blown') it's likely to be 'dot and dab' so there probably won't be any wooden studwork.

Judging by the following thread, the John Lewis installers will only install it for you if the installation looks to be straight-forward, so it would pay to do some research (as you're doing now) before you decide. The G1 wall-mount does look to be tiny, so it will be very important to get the installation right.

It would also pay to think about cable management, because the effect of a neat, flush wall-mounted TV will be spoiled if there are loads of cables hanging down from it.

mikej

Haven't yet decided the size, thinking 65' may be too big!
What size TV do you have now, what's your viewing distance and do you watch much SD content ?

Gidoc

Novice Member
What size TV do you have now, what's your viewing distance and do you watch much SD content ?
Very useful advice.
Wall
It is a downstairs lounge wall ; external wall is brick/stone as it’s a detached house and and also I can see the same wall internally in the garage.
It does sound hollow at regular intervals with more full/ dull sound inbetwen for a 3-4”. Sounds like what you described dot and bob- no way for my to confirm- or is there? I can try and get a sensor to check studs if that helps?
So- if that’s the case will the G1 bracket be fixed into the bricks going in from the hollow sounding bits?
Is the G1 bracket good enough- presumably as it comes with the Tv?
Size
Not really watch any blue ray ; mostly Amazon Netflix and Sky Sports and movies plus Sky sd stuff which wife watches - Friends etc
So I was thinking 65” may be too big.
Currently have LG 50”-52” HDTV which is at least 10 yr old , going good except has two very thin vertical green lines suggesting it’s life is going !
Any input highly appreciated , thanks

mikej

It is a downstairs lounge wall ; external wall is brick/stone as it’s a detached house and and also I can see the same wall internally in the garage.
It does sound hollow at regular intervals with more full/ dull sound inbetwen for a 3-4”. Sounds like what you described dot and bob- no way for my to confirm- or is there? I can try and get a sensor to check studs if that helps?
So- if that’s the case will the G1 bracket be fixed into the bricks going in from the hollow sounding bits?
Is the G1 bracket good enough- presumably as it comes with the Tv?
I've got no personal experience of dot and dab walls, but it's probably just a case of either using long-enough solid-wall anchors or using special fittings intended for that type of wall (similar to these) to ensure a secure fix in the brick behind.

You may end up drilling through the solid parts (where the adhesive is) or you may end up drilling through the hollow-sounding sections where the gap is, so whoever is installing the bracket will presumably use fittings that are suitable for both scenarios. That type of wall is very common, so I would like to think an experienced TV installer should be able to deal with it.

There is a diagram showing the G1 bracket in the thread I posted above. As it's supplied by LG, then presumably it will be more than good enough. It's certainly the only one you'll be able to use if you want the flush fit (to the wall) that the G1 is capable of.

Have a think about how you want to manage your cables because if you need to start channeling walls to keep them hidden or do any other associated DIY then that would need to be done before the TV is installed.

mikej

Not really watch any blue ray ; mostly Amazon Netflix and Sky Sports and movies plus Sky sd stuff which wife watches - Friends etc
So I was thinking 65” may be too big.
Currently have LG 50”-52” HDTV which is at least 10 yr old , going good except has two very thin vertical green lines suggesting it’s life is going !
Any input highly appreciated , thanks
SD is going to be noticeably worse on a 65" 4K TV than a 50" 1080p from the same viewing distance, unless you're sat a fair way from the screen - what is your viewing distance, roughly ?

There is a lot of good quality HD and 4K content on Prime and Netflix which will make the most of a new TV like the G1 and you may find that your viewing habits change. I watch almost no SD these days, since upgrading from a 1080p plasma to a larger 4K OLED.

Gidoc

Novice Member
SD is going to be noticeably worse on a 65" 4K TV than a 50" 1080p from the same viewing distance, unless you're sat a fair way from the screen - what is your viewing distance, roughly ?

There is a lot of good quality HD and 4K content on Prime and Netflix which will make the most of a new TV like the G1 and you may find that your viewing habits change. I watch almost no SD these days, since upgrading from a 1080p plasma to a larger 4K OLED.

mikej

Thanks , viewing distance is about 11 ft
That's actually a fair distance for a 65" set - there are people on this forum viewing the same size screen from around half that distance away, at which point SD really would be unwatchable !

SD picture quality will still almost certainly take a hit from 11ft away, but this will obviously be less noticeable than if you were much closer. I would imagine the G1 would do a decent job of upscaling the better quality SD material, too.

If you're set on an OLED and want a bigger screen size, than going from 50" to 55" may not feel like much of an upgrade as far as screen size goes, in which case 65" would be the one to go for.

FWIW, I currently view a 55" OLED from around 8-9ft away - if I was 11ft away, then I would have probably gone for 65".

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom