1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mounting LCD sets and hiding the Cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Deano70, Oct 18, 2005.

1. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im sure this has been covered before but here goes, im really interetsted in mounting my LCD on the wall, how easy is it to do and how easy is it to get the wires/cables etc buried into the wall so all you see is the tv and speakers etc.

Any advice to a complete DIY Novice would be great :D or should I ring the DIY SOS team :eek:

2. mjw123

mjw123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I was lucky as I'm having an extension built and the screen is going in there. It was just a case of channeling a section out of the blockwork for the cables so the plasterboard could go over the top. Obviously an opening at the TV end for the cables to protrude and one at the wall base for DVD, AMP connections etc.

Most people will have to chase out their existing walls and run the cables in channel. Once in place you'll need to plaster over and redecorate - not difficult just a ballache.

3. Deano70

Deano70
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, maybe a stupid question but here goes, are there any laws for plastering over the mains cable into the wall so there is really no or very little access to it in the event of an emergency.

4. thelurch

thelurch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    If you can face it, chase out the wall deep enough to allow large trunking or a smaller size rainwater downpipe ( like you see on greenhouses ) to be set in the wall with an opening behind your AV unit and another one behind the TV in its on the wall position.

Try make sure that the diameter of the pipe/trunking/conduit is big enough so your biggest cable connector ( probably scart I would have thought? ) can fit through said pipe then re plaster over it and if you need to remove cables in the future then they can be pulled through and new ones fed through.

Im sure there would be a million broken building regulations what ever you do, they seem to change every hour so I wouldnt worry.

If you do permanently re plaster over power cables they should be in trunking anyway and only run vertically. As long as you know where they are.

But thats only my opinion, if you are really worried then consult someone who knows about these things or wait for someone on here to give a fact based reply :)

I am about to mount mine on the wall but for the time being I have bought some 100mmx25mm white trunking which the front is removeable so i can put all the cables in it and clip the cover back over. My walls are just painted white so shouldnt look too bad as a temperary fix, I may ever leave it that way.