Wall Mounting Issue (Cabling Help)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by BeanheadUK, Jul 16, 2017.

1. BeanheadUK

BeanheadUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hey guys,

I got my flat over a year ago and decided to wall mount my TV. As it's a fairly new-ish build, it was easy enough to run the power and HDMI behind the plasterboard wall, with the brush type wall sockets either end and then connect it to the TV once it was mounted. The other end going to my Sony AV.

I've included a picture of how it currently is.

However, I've been thinking long and hard about upgrading from my current old 50" plasma to a 65" LED. I know I'll have to change the position.of the TV mount (a bit higher) and speakers (slightly wider) but then it dawned on me, all new TVs don't have disconnectable power cables!

What do I do now? I don't want to cut it as that voids the warranty. If I run an extension cable behind the wall to next to the TV that means I'll need a wider mount to allow for the extension socket and TV plug.

Any ideas please?

Help!

Beans[​IMG]

2. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,833
    How deep is your bracket?

How about a single wall mounted socket behind the tv?
    Should be easy to wire up and if flush mounted into the wall will only require the thickness of the plug itself which you can plug in prior to the tv being hung (so about 1").

I can't see any other way unless you cut the plug or use ducting. I wasn't aware that most new TVs were hard wired. I thought most came with figure of 8 power plugs.

3. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +648
    You can cut off the plug and fit a rewritable IEC on the end to which you can connect a smith cable wit an IEC socket with 13A plug on the other end. I don't know why this would be seen as breaking the warranty. I did this with my 65" Samsung plasma as it had a permanently wired Mains lead too.

If needs be you can always put a regular Mains Socket back on again if/when you need warranty support.

Just make sure you retain and use the fuse from the original mounded plug.

If you decide that is not an option then a Syncbox is a neat way of fitting a recessed Mains socket behind a TV that limited space due to the flush mounting bracket. You do need a significant depth within the wall to take the unusually deep back box.