Wall mounting... can it work with pj the right way up ?

WPA

Standard Member
Reaction score
I got my Panasonic AE500 from Komplett today... yay :clap:

Although getting home and just seeing a box sitting outside my door is a scary thing... what on earth are Parcel force playing at :eek: Anyhow, no-one did a runner with it, thank goodness.

So to my question, I'd never really understood where the pj would be in relation to the image it projected, ie if you put it on the floor (hypothetically of course) would it project up onto the wall, or half onto the floor ?

Anyhow, I get out the manual and it pretty much projects so that the lens is around the bottom of the projected screen.

Bugger

My intention was to wall mount this on the rear wall of my room and have it project onto the screen on the front wall (distance of approx 10ft), but of course I wanted to have this up reasonably high so I didn't have to slouch right down if the pj was right above me. Finally it makes sense to me all these ceiling mounting people.

However, I've just not got the DIY skills to do a ceiling mount... and don't tell me how easy it is, I literally am that bad. So is this going to be possible to do with the projector orientated the "normal" way up, or am I really going to need to hang it upside down somehow ? Any suggestions and piccies of what I might be looking for.

The image is fantastic BTW - especially that right now I'm projecting onto dodgy wallpaper and haven't got any sound installed in the room yet

Quite a few people have the AE500 on a shelf but have it running upside down, using rubber feet to level it. That’s probably the best way for you.

I just don't know how you live without a lens shift? ;) (happy owner of a Z1 here :smashin: )

I have just mounted my AE500 on the wall, about 2m up, upside down using a TV wall bracket - works brilliantly and you can adjust it as much as you need!

I will post some pics tonight, but it took quite a bit of modifying... (basically if you can use a drill you will be fine! :cool: )

You can get ceiling mounts for about 135 excl VAT from Unicol. The GKX is in silver and the adaptor plates are made to order.
It will make your installation look alot better. If you have just forked out 1500 quid on a projector I wouldn't mess around converting TV shelfs with heath robinson attempts.

If it's ceiling mounts you end up with, a forum sponsor is where to go, lmp-pc Their mount is superb, good looking, well finished, has cable management and easy to use. I cannot recommend them highly enough. But if it must be on a shelf (can't see what's so hard about a ceiling mount mind, 4 holes and plasterboard fittings are good enough for most LCD PJ's) then upside down with rubber cushions is the way to do it, then the throw angle is working in your favour. Don't forget to centre the lens on the screen too.

I just bought a £24.99 tv bracket, with two joints for positioning (who needs lens shift!) from Argos.

I had exactly the same problem as you, but the wall bracket tilts and a little wedge at the back end of the projector and all is hunky dory.

mooro

Thanks for the info guys, dramatic turn around from me, and after a helpful email from Andy at LMP, looks like I'm going to go ceiling mount. Happily enough I found someone who vaguely knows how to mount something to the ceiling without the lot coming down

Just for the record - the wall mount we did (still need to tidy the cables...)

Attachments

• dsci0007.jpg
    dsci0007.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 154

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom