Wall Mounting and Flexible Cable Management - Advice Needed

Crea

Hi all,

I'm looking to mount a 65-inch LG OLED TV I use primarily for gaming / streaming services. I have a number of games consoles, and occasionally rotate cables in and out as the need requires.

For example, although a PS5 + Xbox are consistently attached, sometimes I add in a PC to the TV, sometimes I swap in a Switch or a retro console of some kind. Sometimes I've headphones in, and sometimes not, depending on what I'm doing / what time it is.

My question is, is this pattern of cable swapping remotely conducive to wall mounting? What I had naively imagined (not being particularly knowledgeable on the topic) was that the market would be awash with things that are basically like the Samsung OneConnect - i.e. some kind of cabling pass through solution that meant you could have a cleanly mounted TV with consistent cabling, and then a hidden box somewhere below / near that I could swap cables in and out of easily.

Is this generally not a thing? Is it a case of cabling ahead of time what I want and that's it? I suppose it doesn't really matter if I fill all the TV inputs with appropriate cables, and swap things at the device end.

But wanted to sound people out - what's generally the approach for use cases with a lot of cable swapping, and wall mounting?

Thanks!

mikej

It's generally best to avoid constant cable swapping, as this will put wear and tear on both the cables and (more importantly) the sockets over time. I have an AV receiver which effectively acts like a One-Connect box and solves the problem in a similar way, as everything is permanently connected to that (PS3/4, PVR, Wii etc), with just the single HDMI-ARC cable to the TV.

If you're wanting to wall-mount your TV, then you could consider using an HDMI switch of some kind and leaving your HDMI devices permanently connected to that. A quick check on Amazon shows that '4 in 1 out' HDMI switches are fairly common - you can even get them with remotes for input selection. Just make sure that the switch you choose supports all the audio and video formats you want to put through it. You might actually be better off with the PS5 connected directly to the TV itself though, I suspect.

If you're making use of any legacy sockets for retro consoles (eg. component/composite) then there are bound to be similar solutions for these cables too but, if not, you could always use a composite extension cable, which would allow you to wall-mount the TV and give you the ports to plug your various consoles to in a more convenient location.

Yorkshire AV

AVForums Sponsor
Hi Crea

How many consoles / cables are you thinking of? And how regularly are you swapping (and for what reason?).

You can buy HDMI matrix solutions - as well as buying perhaps an AVR such as the Denon 2700 (if you're just using the onboard TV sound) to act in the same fashion?

As mikej has suggested - constant moving of cables puts unnecessary wear on the ports and potentially the cables themselves.

Crea

Thanks both - very sensible suggestions / advice. Point well taken on unnecessary cable swapping!

The more I think about it, the more I think the way to go is to directly wire the permanent devices in (PS5 + Xbox Series X), then some kind of HDMI switch / hub to cover the occasional ones (Switch, retro consoles, PC).

Incidentally "HDMI matrix" is the term I never knew that pretty much describes the sort of thing I was hoping existed, so thank you!

MultiRoom

Use some short HDMI extension leads (male one end, female the other) and use them to plug in and out of.

Problem solved, easily accessible and won’t wear out the on board connections. It’ll cost you about 5 quid.

VCE 2 Pack HDMI Extension Cable 4K HDMI Extender HDMI Male to Female Cable Adapter compatible with TV Stick, Roku stick, PS5,PS4,Xbox360, 12cm Amazon product

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom