1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall-mounting and cable connections..

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Scapegoat, Aug 19, 2005.

1. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Once I finally decide on a flat-screen I would ideally want to wall mount it.

The neatest way to do this would be to channel the wall out for the cables so that they are hidden.

But given that at some stage I would want to connect a HD Sky box (and later still other equipment - nextgen consoles, hed def DVD etc) this seems to present a problem with sets that have all connections built into the screen e.g. the much praised PV500, the upcoming Sony 40" LCD V series etc.

Not exactly easy to install and unistall cables regulary to the screen if they are plastered into the wall.

Anyone else considered/has this issue? The 7200 series Hitachi and the Pioneer have the units seperate and therefore the cables from that to the screen are likely to not require changing.

Seems a shame that wanting to wall mount but maintain a tidy installation and flexibility in changing inputs would reduce my choice of screens,

Is there a way round this issue for PV500 etc.?

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    When you channel the wall, fit some trunking for the cables to run through and plaster over the top of the trunking. That way, you can still pull new cables through without having to open the wall up again. Just make sure the trunking is wide enough to get the connectors through.

John

3. Scapegoat

Scapegoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    What is trunking? Is this a cable duct - any ideas on the sizes they come in?

I can imagine having 2 or 3 scarts plus HDMI, power etc. and room to feed through once in might be quite a large duct..

4. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It is the same as cable ducting and comes in a wide array of shapes and sizes - have a look in your local DIY superstore. When I wall mounted my plasma, I got some that's around 3 inches wide and 1.5 inches deep - big enough to get scart connectors through.

John

5. strees

strees

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, that is what I will be doing next week.

You should need to connect scart so don't worry about the size of a scart lead/terminal. The largest really with me component/hdmi etc ... I would have thought a 3" trunk would be enough (again that I what I will be fitting.