Wall Mounting an LCD TV using Bluetac! Dead Pixels and FM Frequencies

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by microtan, Mar 13, 2006.

1. microtan

microtan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is my first post so I hope that my contribution will add to the excellent posts that helped me decide on which LCD TV to buy.

I wanted to wall mount my Samsung LE32R41BD however the cost of the wall mounts appeared rather expensive. Eventually I located a Vesa 100/200 mount (I needed Vesa 200) at Tesco Express for under £20. It will take a load of 35Kg and fits flush to the wall. I had to buy six M6 x 15mm bolts as the ones supplied with the wall bracket were too small. The bracket holes also needed drilling out an extra 1mm however the saving was well worth the effort.

I have posted details of how to make the job of wall mounting a Samsung LE32R41BD easier with a small blob Blutac :rotfl: on my homepage www.microtan.co.uk - the Bluetac is only temporary :smashin: ! Click on the "Audio Visual" tab on the left hand frame of my homepage

There you will also find details of a program that will quickly show any dead pixels if you can connect your PC to the LCD TV

Though not strictly related to this forum I have also listed in Microsoft Excel format all of the UK and Irish FM Radio Station frequencies and the transmitter locations that I found useful for deciding which of the duplicated BBC radio stations to use on my radio. I converted this from a pdf file so I do not claim to originate it – just the credit for the conversion and any ensuing mistakes. I hope that it will be a useful resource before DAB becomes the norm.

2. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why would you want a program that will show you where dead pixels are? That sounds like the most idiotic thing I have ever heard.

3. microtan

microtan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Being my first post I apologise to ohanlon for suggesting anything that he consider idiotic.

Dead pixels however can be an issue if they are clearly visible i.e. always on and then you have to demonstrate more than a certain number of them to comply with some manufacturer’s guarantees.

Most of the major LCD monitor manufacturers adhere to the Class II section of the ISO 13406-2 standard where an LCD monitor can be classified as being faulty if it has to suffer from one of the following faults:

1. - Two unlit pixels

2. - Two always lit (white) pixels

3. - Five red/green/blue pixels

4. - Two red/green/blue pixels in close proximity.

The Dead Pixel Buddy program displays pure red, green and blue screens so that any unlit red green or blue pixels show up clearly as a black dot against the coloured background. It also displays a user defined colour (default is yellow), white and black screens.

The Black screen shows displays any “always lit” pixels like a tiny torch, the worse being a white dot made up of all three red green and blue pixels

I have noticed that Samsung are now offering a six month zero dead pixel guarantees on all monitors purchased from 1 January 2006 however what is not clear is if this applies to the UK or only to Korea and also if it extends to LCD TV’s that are not strictly monitors?

Source: http://english.chosun.com/w21data/html/news/200412/200412300018.html

I hope that this clarifies why I suggested the Dead Pixel Buddy program as a useful tool and as with most suggestions you are free to decide if it is useful.

4. ohanlon

ohanlon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies, when thinking of it in that mannor, it is infact a useful progam. I thought you was suggesting for someone to use it to find out if their set has any dead pixels, and in that case it would be idiotic.

5. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Any luck hooking your ORIC up to the sammy? Bet Zorgon's revenge would look interesting. Still got my old atmos in the attic somewhere.:smashin: