Wall mounting advice needed...

Come to think of it... the cupboards in my kitchen must be holding a fair amount of weight being full of plates etc. They've never fallen off the wall.

My old 60" Kuro was 50 kilos, my current Panasonic OLED is 65" and 32 kilos - bigger but lighter!

I'll admit that flatscreen TV's wall mounted do look really space age, especially if you can hide the cabling, but I just don't have the balls to do it. I know I'd be lying awake at night worrying that I'd suddenly hear a huge crash.

I can actually pick up my current TV on my own (you definitely needed two people with the Kuro) and I know the load is spread, but I'd still be nervous. Having it on a pedestal stand on an AV cabinet eliminates all worry for me.
Decent bracket with proper wall fixings and I do not think there is anything to be concerned about.

Come to think of it... the cupboards in my kitchen must be holding a fair amount of weight being full of plates etc. They've never fallen off the wall.

The forces in play are in different directions though. Your kitchen cupboards are generally held by mounts in the top corners but the rest of the cabinet including the bottom is also against the wall. So there is little rotational force applied to pull the screws out. There is little additional force applied when you open the doors,

The TV however is floating in fresh air and @John initial post comes into play. You pull it out and it will apply more pressure to the bracket and wall.

I have one flat wall bracket and one moveable with a 22kg plasma on it and the only reason I got the latter so I could adjust the viewing angle for another sofa in the room. However it does come out quite far if you want but also produces a lot more strain on the bracket. Whilst it can go back to the right place if I did it again probably would buy a flat bracket :)

I have the bracket you pictured and all is absolutely spot on, as long as you stick within the stated limitations of the bracket and have a good fixing into the wall (I used 4 plugged coachbolts into concrete blocks) you should have no problems.

I have one flat wall bracket and one moveable with a 22kg plasma on it and the only reason I got the latter so I could adjust the viewing angle for another sofa in the room. However it does come out quite far if you want but also produces a lot more strain on the bracket. Whilst it can go back to the right place if I did it again probably would buy a flat bracket :)

This seems to me you are unsure of the brackets capabilities though.

This seems to me you are unsure of the brackets capabilities though.

No so long as you work with in the design parameters of the bracket it should be ok. Brackets will undoubtedly exhibit a strain, whether that is noticeable will depend on the bracket design and quality.

With a bracket extended and\or a pulling force you the wall mountings have to take considerably more force than just a straight wall bracket.

No so long as you work with in the design parameters of the bracket it should be ok. Brackets will undoubtedly exhibit a strain, whether that is noticeable will depend on the bracket design and quality.

Which is basically what I said & actually owning the bracket, tried to reassure the OP abut the quality of said bracket.

...I know it's very nervy, but having hung a few tv's it's worth remembering that if you mount them flat, there is very little 'pull away' force and that's where the danger is. Try pulling a cork out through the sidewall of the bottle rather than the hole at the top.
Of course if you stick it on a counterlever mount, you increase the risk...
Agreed.

Plasterboard is strong enough to bear a lot of weight straight down, but easily breaks if weight is applied across it, such as if the TV is pulled away from the wall on the cantilever arms.

I strongly suggest you think about returning the bracket to Amazon and getting something like this, which will allow you some freedom of moving the TV sideways to centre it if necessary. There is still some room behind for dusting, etc:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intecbrack...67510&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+wall+bracket+75+inch

Of course, if you can use new or existing studs for all the screws, then you should be OK with the cantilever one.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I have the bracket you pictured and all is absolutely spot on, as long as you stick within the stated limitations of the bracket and have a good fixing into the wall (I used 4 plugged coachbolts into concrete blocks) you should have no problems.

Which is basically what I said & actually owning the bracket, tried to reassure the OP abut the quality of said bracket.

Thanks for posting this.

I feel reassured... :clap::clap::clap:

Agreed.

Plasterboard is strong enough to bear a lot of weight straight down, but easily breaks if weight is applied across it, such as if the TV is pulled away from the wall on the cantilever arms.

I strongly suggest you think about returning the bracket to Amazon and getting something like this, which will allow you some freedom of moving the TV sideways to centre it if necessary. There is still some room behind for dusting, etc:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intecbrackets®-fitting-adjustable-bracket-800x400-Black/dp/B00JLFCCJ2/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537867510&sr=8-3&keywords=tv+wall+bracket+75+inch

Of course, if you can use new or existing studs for all the screws, then you should be OK with the cantilever one.

I'm not going to return it just yet.

My nephew believes it'll be ok fixing it to the wall. If he has ANY uncertainties though, I will return it and get the one you've referred to...

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The wall it's going on is an external brick wall so I guess the plasterboard is dry lined? If I tap any of my internal walls I get a very hollow sound. The wall the TV is going on doesn't produce such a hollow noise.

I've noticed that someone in another flat with the same layout as mine has a TV on the same wall. I see it when I walk past his flat. The TV isn't as big though so probably not as heavy.

The internal wall maybe solid blocks or thermalite blocks, hopefully for you they're solid.

To find out you can push a small screwdriver or similar through the plasterboard and into the block wall behind, if it's thermalite you should be able to push the screwdriver in to it, if not then it's likely to be concrete blocks.

Fortunately my house was built when they used proper bricks and blocks and is pretty solid.
Thermalite blocks are rubbish, very soft, great if you were a brickies labourer though.

The internal wall maybe solid blocks or thermalite blocks, hopefully for you they're solid.

To find out you can push a small screwdriver or similar through the plasterboard and into the block wall behind, if it's thermalite you should be able to push the screwdriver in to it, if not then it's likely to be concrete blocks.

The internal walls are studded. The TV is going to be fixed to an external wall.

I remember having Sky fitted and the dust inside the flat from drilling the adjacent external wall was grey. However, the outside walls are brick with resultant red dust when drilled.

So it seems there is plasterboard, grey blocks then brick.

If so, can you fasten to the brick?

I meant the internal wall on the external side if you see what I mean... The dust could be grey if it's thermalite or solid blocks. Try pushing a screwdriver through to see how hard it is.

I meant the internal wall on the external side if you see what I mean... The dust could be grey if it's thermalite or solid blocks. Try pushing a screwdriver through to see how hard it is.

I tried pushing a screwdriver into the wall and couldn't? It seems like the material isn't plasterboard? It looks kind of grey in colour?

I pushed the screwdriver pretty hard but it wouldn't go through and neither would the point on a pair of scissors. Tried turning them too.

When I tap the wall it feels pretty solid unlike the internal walls. They sound very hollow when I tap them.

It's probably a wet plastered wall and not dry lined, sounds like it could be a sand and cement plaster/render rather hardwall type if it's grey in colour. Either way it might mean you get a better fixing than a dry lined wall.

Thanks for all your advice so far everyone

a19d13b327d3240cd4dee1ad36172e0c.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom