wall mounting a plasma?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by mrchopper, Jan 1, 2003.

1. mrchopper

mrchopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im going to be buying a new plasma within the next few weeks and wonder'd how safe are they on the wall, are wall brackest sturdy? surely a lot safer than hanging a picture? i know it sounds silly but im very worried about mounting £5,000 worth of toy on the wall and it not being very sturdy, id like to be as if it was glued to the wall.

2. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wall brackets are very sturdy , its what sort of wall and how you fix it that is important. What type of wall is it?

3. mrchopper

mrchopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have the choice of two, the one we want to mount it on is farily thin as we live in a flat so i would imagine its prolly only plasterboard mounted on 2x4 struts. the other is a solid concrete wall, but id prefer to stick it on the other.

4. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you are lucky you will be able to screw the brackets to the 2x4 uprights , if not what I usually do is mark where I want the fixing to be then cut out a section of plaster board and fit a noggin between the uprights.

5. mrchopper

mrchopper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats a nogging mate? i dont think that's practical as we rent the flat, looks like its going in the concrete wall then?

6. jmack

jmack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    if the wall studs dont match up to the holes in the bracket then drill your own holes in the bracket as long as you have about 3 holes on each side should be enough i think.

i have a toshiba now which is on a very good bracket by unicol but i did have a philips plasma which came with what only can be described as a coat hanger i lost alot of sleep worrying about that falling off

7. installer09

installer09
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea from jmack , although you will need a good drill if the brackets anything like as thick as mine . A noggin is a piece of wood to fit horizontally between the uprights , not a good idea like you say if you are renting .

8. craigizmo2k2

craigizmo2k2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My uncle put a plasma on the wall using a really expensive bracket and it turned out the bracket i use for my 14" tv it stronger :eek:

Just posted it to warn you that expensive isnt always better... sorry if this is irrelevant!!!