1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounting a plasma with backing board

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by holo, Aug 1, 2005.

1. holo

holo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering if anyone has any experience of wall mounting a plasma using a backing board.

The idea is this. A piece of mdf say 2 m x 1 1/2m metres is bolted onto the brick wall, leaving a gap between the board and wall for cable management . The can be finished, painted etc. The plasma is then attached to the board at viewing height and then all cables go through the board and drop down to floor level where they can be attached to the components.

My question is this, is mdf a suitable material ? if so, what thickness of mdf would you suggest, bearing in mind it will need hold a 40kg 42" plasma.

Any other advice or potential pitfalls would be gratefully appreciated.

Cheers :smashin:

2. Cyril

Cyril

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    http://www.purelyplasma.com/furniture.html has several MDF wall stands.

I guess a thick piece 1800x640x100 should do the trick if it is securely bolted to the wall.

Anyone know how thick/strong an MDF stand that does not require bolting to a wall should be?

I am guessing 1800x1200x180 would do?

3. holo

holo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply Cyril. I was thinking either 25mm mdf with plenty of anchor points. I am paranoid mdf may buckle and drop the plasma to the floor. Don't want that to happen till upgrade time ;)

Or I guess laminate mdf may work better, am not sure so am grateful for opinions of those who may have done it.

Thanks