Wall mounted Tv above fireplace

ngac

image.jpg

Hi all I’m looking for advice on mounting a TV above the fire place. I know this isn’t a great viewing angle but unfortunately there isn’t anywhere else to put it in our intended new room setup.

I have a few questions. I have attached a picture of the fireplace as it is currently to show how the log burner is actually in a deeper chimney stack then the outside wall. Firstly has anyone had issues with log burners and heat ? I intend to put the burner on for a few hours and maybe feel the wall for heat above it when it gets a bit cooler. But not sure a better test method?!

I currently have a Sony KD 55XF9005 which I’m very happy with and no real reason to change other then if it will significantly Help with the wall mount situation. I don’t really want any wires visible (or as few as I can help) but due to the log burner dont really want to go directly behind the TV into the wall due to potential heat issues. I have seen the Samsung one box and wondered if this would help the situation but wondered what others have done/recommend?

I also have a Sonos playbar soundbar so even if I get the Samsung one box I will somehow have to hide these wires and have the same issue with the heat. Also due to height of tv would it be better to put soundbar above tv?

I have power behind the wooden shelves to the left you can see if the picture so could chisel out and put wires running through way if that’s the best/only option. If this is the case how is the best way to extend the hdmi.

Any recommendations or suggestions would be great.

mikej

Here are a few of my thoughts...

The soundbar has to go underneath the TV ideally, as you need them as close to ear level while seated as possible and mounting it above the TV will put it fairly close to the ceiling which would look (and probably sound) odd.

If you're wanting to stick with your current TV and hide the cables, then you would either have to incorporate a double electrical socket behind the TV (for TV and soundbar) or extend the power cables to both. You can only run (fixed) electrical cables to sockets in 'safe zones' which means horizontally and vertically from any socket outlet (definitely not diagonally), so you'd have to run up the wall vertically from your bookcase socket and then horizontally across the wall to the TV location. The vertical section would be hidden behind the bookcase, but the horizontal run would be visible and these can sometimes be pretty tricky to disguise completely, in my experience. The downside to extending the TV and soundbar power cables and plugging in behind the bookcase is that the bookcase then won't sit flush to the wall and access to those sockets to turn off power (for whatever reason) will be difficult.

Whichever method you choose, it is also recommended to keep certain cables apart to avoid interference issues, so bundling (for example) aerial, HDMI and power cables together can sometimes (but not always) cause problems.

If you were willing to upgrade the TV to help solve the problem and didn't mind one cable being visible, then I guess a One-Connect cable could come down vertically and run around the contour of the fireplace and skirting although I'm not sure how long they are and what the end result would look like. Samsung TVs with the One-Connect box are expensive though and you'd still have the problem of getting power to the soundbar.

Despite the log burner being well recessed, don't they put out a lot of heat ? The fireplace mantle should deflect some of that away from the screen I guess, but that general area will still get pretty warm and any cables buried in that wall will be also subjected to that. Manufacturers always recommend locating their TVs away from sources of heat like fires and radiators although, admittedly, this is often hard to achieve in the typical British living room !

I hope that doesn't sound too negative - I was lucky in that I was able to take my (fairly basic) fireplace out of use to solve this problem, but I can appreciate why you wouldn't want to do that as yours looks to be much more of a feature you'd want to retain and the log burner a nice thing to have, so I can see why you're trying to work around it. With that in mind, is there really no other location for the TV in that room ? Even though it isn't ideal, I would personally rather have a TV in a corner at eye level than high up on a wall above a fireplace and you also don't have the 5.1 speaker issue that makes a corner location difficult for some people, either.

ngac

Not negative at all. Just realistic!

I know it’s not ideal no matter what I do to be honest. I think first step is checking the heat after the burner has been on a few hours in and around the wall.

In terms of power I can’t see any way other than like you say chisel our up and right from the socket and put a double socket in. Hdmi will be a bigger pain than the socket in my opinion as they are all pretty chunky. I only have sky and a PS4 in there. I’m tempted to just sack both them off and use the on demand features which may make things easier but again not ideal.

Plenty to think about and go round in circles! Thanks for the input

mikej

I think first step is checking the heat after the burner has been on a few hours in and around the wall.
My Panasonic OLED has a maximum recommended operating temperature of 35 degC so you could measure the ambient temperature above the mantel while the fire is on to give you an idea of whether it could be an issue.
In terms of power I can’t see any way other than like you say chisel our up and right from the socket and put a double socket in. Hdmi will be a bigger pain than the socket in my opinion as they are all pretty chunky. I only have sky and a PS4 in there. I’m tempted to just sack both them off and use the on demand features which may make things easier but again not ideal.
An ARC-enabled AV amp would allow you to just use the one HDMI cable, but you already have a soundbar which you presumably wouldn't want to abandon. The other option is a '2 in 1 out' HDMI switch but you'd need to make sure the switch was compatible with all the formats and features your Sky and PS4 sources have to offer. This may not be too much of an issue with a PS4 but could be with any future PS5 upgrade :)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom