Wall Mounted Living Room Setup | Wife Friendly Style | Custom AV Unit.

Dextur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello Guys/Gals.

Nothing overly esoteric, but suits our needs nowadays.

Front View.
setup.jpg

High Res Version:
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/7016/eqr5.jpg

A slightly older shot below with older kit but perhaps a better angle.

2013-11-04_2243.png

Long View With PV1 Sub.
pv1-long.jpg

KIT LIST:

-- Custom made AV unit.
The unit was custom made in light oak, looks a lot lighter in RL.
It has a hidden bottom front panel for easy cable access etc.
These guys --- Reclaimed Furniture | Handmade Kitchens | AV Furniture - Stump Furniture

-- Samsung 60" Plasma

-- Monitor Audio RX 6 Speakers
-- Monitor Audio RX Centre.

-- B&W M1 Rears.
-- B&W PV1 SubWoofer.

-- Denon AVR4308 Amp.

-- Oppo BDP-83 Blue Ray

-- SKY HD 1 TB

-- Mac Mini Running Plex Software.
-- I'll make a video of Plex running shortly, it's pretty funky.

-- Harmony 900 Remote.

-- Xbox 360
-- Wii

Some Quick Note (s)

• Cables are buried behind the wall, hence no visible cables from TV to unit.
  • I'll make a video showing Plex in action soon and some cute tricks the Custom AV unit has up it's sleeve.

That's about it guys. Thanks, hope it provides some ideas to some.

Here's some old shots at various stages for posterity.

hvbp.jpg

234411d1302097752-living-room-projector-setup-avforums.jpg

Last edited:
Reserved for , dunno, something I suspect.

Tight set up, very organised and clean - thumbs up.

Nice looking set up, but you've not left a lot of room for the amp....it does get toasty and with no gap it won't be doing the amp any favours.

Nice looking set up, but you've not left a lot of room for the amp....it does get toasty and with no gap it won't be doing the amp any favours.

was just thinking the same. maybe route out some deep wide grooves directly above the amp to help funnel heat out the back

Thanks.

In regards the amp, It appears that way, there's however no heat build up.

We had the unit custom made from the ground up for the amp slot.

Including vents in the shelf the amp sits and in the back of the roof shelf. Also impossible to see but the unit appears to be closed in at the back but is in fact fully open the entire length and height.

The sides appear close. What you can't see is that the width of the down panels is false, it's only that width for 1" at the front, then it's wide to the full width of the unit. There's 3-4 " either side. Same at the top, the bar running across the top is made to look thick, but 1" back and it goes to the roof of the unit.

Been sitting there for 4 years+ .

Before , it was in an enclosed case :eek:

Last edited:
Very nice!

I'd like to have some of my kit out in the open but my 16 month old lad is in to everything, so it's all under lock and key for now!

We had a similar issue, used to have an enclosed AV unit with a glass front door.

Love this, and your couch looks comfy as! :smashin:

Are you satisfied with the smaller satellites and their position at the rear? Right now my rear stand mounters match the fronts but they're too close to me and so are too obvious as a source. I've been thinking about downsizing and mounting up high.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I suspect it would be optimal for the rears if we could put the a couple of feet behind the sofa, but it's the "usual living room" situation, you have to make the typical concessions.

Mounting them high up gives us a little extra distance and seems to increase the perception the noise is coming from behind you more effectively - yes.

Hi, thanks for the feedback.

I suspect it would be optimal for the rears if we could put the a couple of feet behind the sofa, but it's the "usual living room" situation, you have to make the typical concessions.

Mounting them high up gives us a little extra distance and seems to increase the perception the noise is coming from behind you more effectively - yes.

Just wanted your honest thoughts on how it sounds :)

Can I ask where you got the custom cabinet from and be so rude as to ask how much it was.

It does look very nice! £1000 is a little out of my price range, but thanks for the reply.

It does look very nice! £1000 is a little out of my price range, but thanks for the reply.

Perhaps give them a ring, I honestly can't remember, may have been a little more , maybe less.

I did opt for solid oak remember.

I suspect if you opted for a lesser wood, you would save a fortune.

Very nice, and also almost identical in layout to our new living room so that gives me some great ideas for the future. The only difference I can see from the picture angles is we have a deeper square bay window and have our other sofa in there.

The issue I may have is that the tv is slightly offset from being directly in front of our sofa but hoping that shouldn't effect the speaker setup too much

great job :)

We used to have a chaise long (spelling?) in the bay window, when we had a lot of guests around people would sit there to watch the TV.

It was ok, but you got a pretty off audio experience as you might imagine being sat right next to one speaker.

I was reading in another thread that you were considering getting a calibrator in to calibrate your PS60E6500? Did you do this?

Yes, I did, absolutely improved it.

Still going to ditch it soon though, was a huge mistake moving from a 65" to a 60"..

Yes, I did, absolutely improved it.

Still going to ditch it soon though, was a huge mistake moving from a 65" to a 60"..

Would you be happy to share your settings for the ps60e6500 tv? PM me

Don't have a clue how to do that, but if you explain exactly what/where/exactly I should be able to grab them for you.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom