1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall-mounted KEF 2005.2 Eggs

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by NC11, Sep 19, 2004.

1. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've had my new HC kit installed couple of days ago. It includes the VX5i AMP and the KEF 2005.2 set (6.1) among the rest of it.

I've watched few movies already and noticed that the rear speakers are hardly noticable. No big deal , u can still hear them , but seems to be too low. I've went into the system setup and increased the channel level for the 3 rears. This hasn't helped that much though...

I've asked the same question in the AMP section , but just to be sure and before I'll do that again , Is this a common issue? Is it the speakers perhaps or just the settings on the AMP?

Cheers.

2. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Mornin'

I have the AX5i amp and my rear speakers face away from me, they are always noticeable, but you shouldn't really want them to be too noticeable as this takes your focus off the film.

How far away from you are your rears, how high are they and are they pointing at you or more into the room as this will have a bearing on how high the levels have to be. Although I don't like to use it, the self setup with the microphone is a great starting point as it gets all the distances and levels for you. Then taylor it to your flavor of sound.

Also you don't have to go all the way into the setup menu to change the levels, if you press the receiver button (fourth down from top right) to tell the remote what source you want it to change. Then press the number 4 button until you find the channel you would like to change. Then the 8 and the enter buttons are the + & -.

Just for reference, my rears are on +6.5 and +7.5

I hope this helps

3. NC11

NC11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    They are pointing at the main sofa from approx 2M high , one opposite the other. The rear centre is approx 20cm higher than the edge of the sofa facing the screen and tilting down a bit (quite a limitation of the eggs , I think).

I'll try and play around with the settings again , also been thinking of changing the 2005.2 set with a Bose AM15. Do you think this will improve the situation or would I be having the same issue?

Cheers.

NC.

4. KHCC

KHCC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    NC11,

You have PM.

5. TopMeTom

TopMeTom
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
    I am thinking of changing the bose am15 but no-one wants the things for trade in!!!
    And the Evil One likes them so am facing bit of a battle!

I have been told the kef are much better than the bose?
    The canton's look nice as well though?

Phil

6. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the Kef 'eggs' and when set up are amazing. I was looking at some Bose but discovered they don't actually have a mid range and the base unit has to do a lot of work to 'imitate' a midrange. I also didn't like the fact that the base unit alters the sound - I want my processor to do that as I paid a fortune for it... :)
    As for the set up NC11 have you set the levels with a sound meter..?? For the sake of £30 (if that) it makes a huge difference. I was tweaking my settings but was never really happy, got a sound meter and it all just fell into place in about 5 minutes...one of the best toys I've got... :)

7. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a newbie i was looking at the Bose, until i realised that the sats feed from the sub and the sub does not connect to the 'sub out' on an amp, therefore in a 5.1 setup you are not using the .1. I got the Eggs too, upgradable, better sounding (IMHO), (though not as discreet).... and plenty of sound from the rears.

8. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    What you have said is wrong there. The AM15 and AM10, that I have, take all of the speaker outs and the line level sub out from an amp. Thus truly being 5.1 or upgradable to 6.1 in the AM15 system.

The signal is fed to the bass module where the signals are crossed over to Bose specs as opposed to your amps.

Just to balance this a bit when I demoed both I found the Kefs tinny and metallic sounding. There are always concessions to make with sub sat sytems but on the day I preferred Bose. I certainly don't percieve a midrange shortage although I know on paper it's there!

9. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you found the 'Eggs' tinny and metalic then they certainly wern't set up correctly...mine are anything but tinny and metalic. In fact extremely rich, precise, and warm. Definition is exceptional, and they havn't won 5/5 stars in virtually every test since the day they came out for nothing. When I was looking I could find very few reviews on Bose and the one or two i found that wern't sponsered by Bose were certainly not favourable due the the lack of a mid range.
    But each to their own and there are so many different speakers to meet all varied tastes you MUST try them all out for yourself and decide on what you like as it is you that will be listening to them after all. And if possible try them with the set up you have at home as that also makes a HUGE difference....if you can actually try them at home then even better. I would also definately set up the volume levels with a sound meter and not by ear...for the sake of £30 or if you can just borrow one for an hour it will make all the difference...trust me...!!! When your spending £800+ on speakers what's £30... :)

10. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

They were correctly set up and my comparisson came from the same source. I had read all the reviews too including the bad hype surrounding Bose and actually went in wanting the Kefs!

'Tinny and metallic' might have been a bit strong, (I didn't mean to put them in the same catagory as Goodmans parcel shelf speakers!) they did sound good but I remember the sound feeling cold from the kefs where the Bose sounded warm/favourable on the day.......... but the last bit you said is spot on anyway you have to try them for yourself.
    :smashin:

11. andy_pandy

andy_pandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just out of interest are your's set up with a sound meter..?? I was dubious at first but when I got one and set up the volume levels the difference is very noticable
    By the way I went in to the shop wanting Bose - the Eggs had only come out the week before and there was only 1 review to go on...!!!
    :thumbsup:

12. AgeOwns

AgeOwns
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about that... certainly don't wish to offend. Neither do i want to enter a 'my speakers are better than yours debate'. ( I did start my post by pointing out i was a newbie )

Agree with andy pandy though...my Kefs do not sound tiny.

Andy

13. alancolledge

alancolledge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    No offence taken, believe me I have heard all there is to hear on my speaker choice and I gave up being sensitive the first month on these forums! I just wanted to correct what you said. Read my last post on the Kefs being tinny :hiya: