1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mounted 5.1 speakers that do decent audio

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by HimupNorth, May 4, 2003.

1. HimupNorth

HimupNorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looking for a little help as although the mags are great I am getting a bit swamped (information overload).
    I am setting up a home cinema with Plasma (ordered) and now turning my thoughts to the source and speakers. The speakers MUST be wall mounted (planning permission granted by the boss with this as a strict condition).
    I want them to look as good as they sound (listen to cds as well as movies) and although i do not have a strict budget i was hoping to get this part (amp/dvd/speakers) for under £1200.
    I have listened to the Sony DAVS550 and was not impressed. I went to the Linn shop and was blown away by the Classik but at £2K (and industrial looks) I think there must be something acceptable in between.
    As I live in the far north I do not have many opportunities to visit speciality shops and would like an informed opinion before i take the plunge.
    Thanks in advance for help on this.
    Gary.
    :suicide:

2. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Linn do some speakers (Kan) for around £250 a pair (http://www.petertyson.co.uk/linnspeakers.shtml) that can be wall mounted (they have their own bracket). Alternatively MJ Accoustics do a rather nice cinema speaker set (I have no idea how much it costs)

3. Mark4

Mark4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or maybe the Linn Uniks ? Or a mix - Kans at the front, Uniks at the back, and the Linn small Afekt sub ? That should be in your budget I think. OK - just re-read- that's your total budget. That'll be tight. You might want to get one permanent piece (speakers/amp/player) and compromise on the other two with a view to upgrading them when the Boss accepts the value of their addition to your modern lifestyle.

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

Don't worry, £1200ish is enough to get a decent system...just about :) :) A few quid extra could always be found a home though :)

You can wall mount just about any speaker you wish by using after market wall brackets - many look OK too.
    However, don't forget you have to get the speaker wire to them - a big drawback of wall mounts on the aesthetics front (unless you can bury the cable in the wall etc etc).

As you've already invested a sizable wedge of cash in your display, no sense skimping on the DVD player.
    However, I'd only buy features you need/want eg, if your plasma can take a PAL/NTSC progressive signal, get a DVD player which can supply it, otherwise, I wouldn't bother paying for that feature
    Likewise, with component video outputs - if your plasma has the inputs, get a DVD which has the outputs too!

With progressive, AFAIK, there's pretty limited choice at the budget end, but Harman Kardon do a DVD player (model 25 I think) for c£300. I think Philips do one too at around £400 (it's an SACD player too)
    Without progressive, I'd look at something like a Toshiba SD220/SD230/SD330/SD520....... - anything from £80-£200, depending on the model (and budget for a decent SCART or set of component leads too)

As for the amp, well opinions will be divided on this, but most of the main suspects do models to fit your budget, and within reason, there's not a huge amount between them IMO. Some will like Denon, some Marantz, others Sony or Pioneer etc etc.
    I'd be looking at somewhere around the £300-£400 mark.
    Sony 1080, Denon 1803, Marantz 5300, Pioneer 811, Yamaha 630/640 etc.

That should leave you around £600 for the speakers and subwoofer. Here the choice is fairly massive I'm afraid.
    You could look at something like the Kef eggs - good looking and compact - perhaps not the best sound per pound though (to be fair though they aren't sold simply on that basis either).

If going down the seperates route, with your other considerations, the subwoofer would be the item I'd get sorted first. This may well depend on how big a unit you can accomodate - while size isn't everything by any means, the laws of physics mean that it's a lot harder to make good small subs than good big-uns :). Before I inadvertently start a war :), that's not to say that there aren't some decent small subs around , but you have to have realistic expectations, and often, be prepared to pay. Of that £600, I'd probably be looking to spend around half of it on the subwoofer!

If you post back with exactly what you are looking for (size, colour, finish etc) then I'm sure you'll get some useful tips - otherwise, it's bit tricky, as the possibilities are, well plentiful, shall we say!! :) :)

5. HimupNorth

HimupNorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow!

What great responses! They have all made me think and I am beginning to come round to the view that I am going to have to compromise fidelity to some extent to achieve a more aesthetic look.

The room in question is fairly small (3750x4700) and has hardwood floor and finishings (mahogany) so wood veener speakers would probably mismatch.

This leaves me with the smaller metal constructed speakers such as Sony/Kef/Onkyo which is OK by me finish wise as it will match the Plasma. As MikeK points out a substantial investment in a decent sub would be wise so I decently constucted satellites and a decent amp to power the resulting boxes would be required.

If i looked at say a collection of such speakers such as;
    Denon SCAV-F100 - flat panels so look unobtrusive, no idea how they would sound.
    ELAC Cinema2 - small speakers with nifty wall hangers and decent construction.
    Mordaunt Short Premier System - Bit more like traditional speakers but would they sound any better?

What amps would anyone recommend?

This short list is of my own making and would keep this part of the investment in check. I could opt for just the satellites from each and go for another sub (suggestions anyone).
    Or maybe there is glaring omissions in my list.

A modern sleek look is preferred and space is limited. I do like my bass so MikeK's suggestion of extra investment in a good sub makes sense to me. Can anyone (Mike?) name a really good sub (not worried about the size/space on this one).

Does anyone have a small speaker system that they think is the dogs?

Finally a big thank you for all the advice so far - the mist is clearing!

Gary.

6. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well it depends on how much you want to spend, but personally I'd probably be looking at something like Uncle Erics Velodyne CHT10 at around £325 on the power buys forum.

There are plenty of speaker packages around that look and sound OK for the money - it depends what you want, and whether OK is good enough.
    As for speakers, given your requirements, I'd have a look at 3 pairs of Mission m70 speakers in silver. Around £240 all in.
    A matching wall bracket is available, or use after market-types.

Including wall brackets, you'd be looking at around £620 all in.
    Add some reasonable speaker cable (no need to go overboard - perfectly adequate is avaiable for £1-£2/metre).

That would leave you around £600ish for your DVD and AV amp/recvr. Which amp would depend on which DVD you bought - if it were me, and progressive scan wasn't on the list, I'd see if I could get one of the Toshiba SD220's for £80 from Richer Sounds (if they actually have any), leaving more cash available for the amp etc. Even if pro scan is wanted, at £80 the price is low enough so that you could use the Tosh to get you going (don't by the way assume that because it's not got prog scan, the picture is in any way crap - it isn't, and very few players can do PAL prog anyway), and then sell it when funds allow - you'd still get half your money back in 12 months time.

7. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,067
    Personally, I like the Energy Take 5.2's, available from Sevenoaks as satellites, but I think the Energy sub can be bettered easily by, say, a REL. Sevenoaks will mix and match. A set of 5 Energy's plus a REL Quake comes to about GBP800.

Speakers are so personal. You have to go listen.

8. avanzato

avanzato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    HimupNorth: Following on from your examples you could also look for the Mirage AVS 500 system, though it's not perfect, IMO it's a musical sounding system and I've seen it for under £500 ex-dem.

I haven't listened to them (they're hard to find) the PSB Alpha series gets very good reviews.

Neither are as stylish as your suggestions though.

9. HimupNorth

HimupNorth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys, thanks very much for al the info. I was offered the following deal yesterday and as her indoors seems to approve will go for it:
    Onkyo TX SR500E Receiver / amp
    Onkyo DV SP500 DVD player
    Mission FS1 Speaker package

Including cables but self fit (no problem as I live remote and expect this) for £1K flat.

I like the look and the sound is pretty good also. I was this close to going for the Onkyo/Jamo package as it was cheaper but the sound was a bit brash and the mid-range lacking.

May I thank everyone for their input and see you later :hiya:

Looking forward to sitting back and enjoying my fav movies :smoke:

Gary.

10. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

The place below are offering the kef eggs package at £599
    I dont think your beat this price anywhere.
    this will probably be the mk1 version.
    mk2 has only just been released.

http://www.edge-sv.co.uk/

I have the eggs and for my 2 pennys worth, they sound
    fantastic for both movies and music of which
    i watch and listen a lot.

Anyone that comes round for a demo are very impressed.

What plasma did u go for,
    im probably ordering a pioneer this week.

Brian.

11. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I did quite like the little Onkyo amp for movies but it really didn't do well with stereo sources & it doesn't have pre-outs so you can't add an integrated amp