Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Wall mountable centres?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by dodgyd, Aug 12, 2005.

1. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Hi all,

Looking for a wall mountable centre speaker, not the large boxy designs as I'm wall mounting my plasma and there's nowhere to put a conventional boxy style centre (if that makes sense). My fronts are Rogers LS55 and budget is about £150. I will be adding a subwoofer, too.

I'd appreciate any pointers.
    Thanks,
    Dave.

2. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Update:
    How about an alternative approach, I have the opportunity of using in-ceiling mounted speakers, would that sound weird? I mean, conventional centre speakers fire towards the listener at roughly ear height. What about ceiling mounted speakers angled down at 45 degrees? Are there any speakers that fit the bill?
    There's a massive list of them at hifibitz - http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/subcategory.asp?id=47 but I don't see anything that doesn't fire straight down.
    My wife is (for once) keen to let me spend money as long as I can get some some speakers to 'disappear' ;)

Any help appreciated!
    Dave.

3. Andrew K

Andrew K

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    You could look at Kef. There is a ceiling mounted speaker that is motorised to come down to an angle.

4. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
  5. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    The KEF ci200qt's are available cheap online, some places are still knocking them out at £330 each, though! Anyone used them? I'm now contemplating using them for centre and surround.

Thanks for the help so far.
    Dave.

6. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    After some reassurance from Tim Ashdown, I've ordered 4 Kef ci200QT speakers. Got them for a knock down price but I'll only be using three of them. One for front centre (mounted in the ceiling above the plasma) aiming down and towards the listening area and two for rear surrounds. The rears will be aiming to the back wall so sound is deflected against the wall to our ears.

My electrician friend is installing them for me, he can get a DC PSU to power the motors in the speakers no problem. Seeing as our living room is down to bare brick and the ceiling rafters are exposed in readiness for a major facelift, it's going to be simple to place the speakers and cables before the plasterer arrives :)

I think I'll be putting up a photo-story in the appropriate forum when I get the chance, there's going to be quite a transformation to see.
    Thanks all,
    Dave.

7. dodgyd

dodgyd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Damn, I've had to rethink the in-ceiling speaker idea due to limitations in the design of my roof rafters (long story).
    So, what about the Mission m3c1i as an obove Plasma mounted centre? I can't find any reviews of them, but they're available cheaply enough. The design seems slim enough to compliment the plasma. Can anyone recommend any similar slim centre speakers? Budget is about £200

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?r=0356606&MISSION-M3C1i&item=363fcc6fc6f6ce65d7730b2504605452

Here's a picture, I can't find any other pictures of m3c1i's that show the profile of the speaker, I hope it's as slim as it appears here.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Dave.