1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall-mountable centre speaker advice?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by BigAde, Nov 4, 2002.

1. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Hi

After a lot of messing about with my home-cinema setup, I'm now ready to replace my old Paradigm CC-150 centre speaker. Not that I don't like it any more - I've heard a lot worse centre speakers, but now that I've got a custom AV cabinet, my TV sits a lot higher up and the centre speaker is now way too high perched on top of it.

To keep my missus happy and also prevent my toddler from wobbling the speaker off the telly and on to her head, I want to get a wall-mountable centre speaker. Doesn't have to be totally flat (although that would be good), but it must be at least as good, if not an improvement on the Paradigm. My main speakers are Ruark Crusader floor-standers, so it needs to be able to integrate well with them.

Any suggestions are most welcome! :confused:

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I cant give you the suggestion you are looking for.......but is there any reason why you cant put a normal center on some wall brackets?

Where were you intending to put the flat speaker?surely if you mount it on the wall it would still have to be up high otherwise the tv would block it?

ad

3. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    You're right buns - there's no reason I couldn't wall-mount the existing speaker and yes, any speaker would still have to go higher up to avoid the telly blocking it. Just from an aesthetics point of view, a reasonably flat speaker would be less dominant on the room and may have more of a chance of blending in. Not convinced of that argument myself, but the missus is - and that's what counts. :rolleyes:

Have seen wall mountable Missions and KEFs in recent days - also have been recommended one of the Boston ones. Will see if I can get myself a demo of those.:)

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    how about a single gallo? They are really tiny and would easily blend in.

ad

5. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I thought the Gallos had to be used with the Gallo sub? Or would my MJA Pro 50 do the job as well? Not having heard them I'm sceptical that such a small speaker would do the job well enough. Feel free to challenge that - I'm happy to stand corrected!!!

Just to correct what I was saying earler - I'm looking at either the Mission M7C1 or the B&W (not KEF!) VM1. Also toying with the idea of a Jamo Center Art (not not heard them either!). I'm happy to pay around the £200-300 mark, but there seems to be very little choice around.