1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mount

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by bonzo500, Jul 1, 2004.

1. bonzo500

bonzo500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not a DIY person so im looking for a "professional" who can mount my Hitachi PD5300 around the swindon area.
    Any recomendation would be helpful!
    thanks all

2. scoooby

scoooby
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You'll pay a fortune just to have your screen wallmounted. It's such a small job you'll struggle getting someone out.

I mounted mine myself- it realy is easy with the right equipment.

3. bonzo500

bonzo500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im useless at DIY :)

4. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    I am useless to and mine is coming tomorrow so got in touch with a far less useless friend and between us we will be putting holes all over the wall!!!! Seriously though as long as you get the right fixings and make sure it is level there is really not much more to it! Take a look around on here and there are quite a few posts on what fixings to use etc. especially if you have plasterboard walls (I don't thankfully so should be easier)

5. saluma

saluma
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i did it a couple of weeks ago and by golly shes still up there, dead straight too. I used a bracket that was almost as heavy as the screen - needed 3 x 10mm holes drilled into brick. my advice, get a good, fresh masonary drill bit for this, pref. machine sharpend (not one of those 'cast' types) and also a mains powered drill. sorry if this is obvious but you did say u were crap @ DIY...

6. bonzo500

bonzo500

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think ill get someone to do it :) Do you guys know of anyone around the Swindon area????
    Thanks

7. nictry

nictry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Saluma, you are holding your plasma up with just 3 screws/bolts!!!!!!! You are a braver man than me! I was thinking more in the region of 8-10 80mm into brick to hold mine on the wall, am I going over the top or just being sensible?

8. nibb

nibb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well my bracket is fixed with 8 x 14mm dia 70mm depth rawlbolts! :smashin:

Took no more than 30 minutes, most of it to tighten the bolts! ;)

Cant be too careful IMHO! :D

Neil

9. Darren Blake

Darren Blake

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Mine is up on a home made bracket using 8 normal 2.5" long #12 screws (might even be #10 - can't remember) into breezeblock using normal brown rawlplugs. Still up after a year and no signs of moving.

I think the record on here is someone who went a foot into their wall with their fixings.

Mind you, mine is held flat to the screen, so there is precious little "pull out" loading on the screws. If you have a tilting bracket or an arm you will need some hefty fixings to take the loads when the screen is away from the wall.

10. sargetheboss

sargetheboss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    got my panasonic 42pwd6 today put that up using wall bracket .pretty easy used 8 bolts from hardware shop plus 8 raw plugs.did not take that long to do. :smashin:

11. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ease of fitting to your wall and number / type of fixings, depends greatly on the wall structure. If you have brick / breeze block things are relativley straight forward as several screws / bolts into raw plugs is easy to achive. The problems start when you have plasterboard (best method, cut plasterboard and inset 3/4" ply to fix to) or as in my case even worst thermalite block. ( special raw plugs required, and plenty of fixings)

Having worried if the plasma was going to stay on the wall, I should remind myself I use to hang boilers on the wall that would be over twice the weight, but then again I suppose under half the cost!!

12. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    JPD2 (or anyone else with DIY skills) - my wall is plasterboard over brick wall (the builder told me it was just used as lining for insulation). Will I need to insert the wood blocks as you suggest or can I just mount the screen on the plasterboard surface using bolts that extend to the brick behind? If so, could you tell me exactly which bolts would be appropriate.The builder said that the gap was probably no more than an inch and would be foam filled.

Also, to run the cables behind the plasterboard, will I need to cut out a section and a channel in the brick, or is there a trick where you can push the cables down through a hole?

I am trying to convince my wife (and myself) that I can do this without (a) the house falling down, and more importantly (b) the plasma screen falling down

13. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,676
    :laugh: :laugh:

I seem to remember someone going all the way through to the outside of the house with threaded bar and bolting it there .
    of course I could have been having nightmares about mounting my own ;)

14. jpd2

jpd2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Noideal

With a dry linned wall, it will depend on the bracket. If you have a bracket with a large flat area, you will probably be able to get away with fixing though the dry linning into the brick with some long screws / ancor bolts depended on thickness. If the bracket has a small foot print then it will just dig into the plasterboard and you will have trouble getting it level, therefore you will need to remove a section of plasterboard slightly bigger than the bracket. Get 1 or 2 pieces of ply to fill back into the setion that will end up a similar thickness to the dry linning. Do not try and be too precise on thickness because it will not affect the fininshed job. Secure the ply to the wall with decent screws, then fix the bracket to the ply.

for the cables I don,t think you will be able to just push them behind the dry linning ( its not just cables, its the scart ends etc) therefore carefully remove a section approx 12" wide down the wall. Now remove a section out of the middle of the insulation to act as a chanel. take care this is adequate to be able to add or remove cables with ends in the future, if not channel out a bit of the wall. Fit the cables + a draw instring for future use, refit the plasterboard section using "no more nails" polyfilla and paint the gaps where you cut the section out.

Hope this makes sense, most of all good luck, its worth it in the end

15. noidea

noidea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    thanks JPD2
    Hopefully you won't hear about my exploits on one of those Sky One diy disaster shows..

16. Si133

Si133

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I just wall mounted my Th42PE30 using 4 massive screw bolts from Focus. they are 10 deep, 1cm wide, and come with the metal "raw plug" that expands out as you tighten.

The bolt is into breeze block at I'm using a universal bracket for £65 from ebay.

The screen is solid as a rock. I can hang on the bracket and it doesn't budge an millimetre.

The whole hanging thing cost me 75 quid and it is as solid as you can get. As someone said before, make sure you have a good drill bit, and only the size recommended by the bolts.

17. junkpuppets

junkpuppets
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    u got a photo of the Th42PE30 on the wall?
    how far is the front of the screen from the wall i'm tempted with the same screen but worried how far out the bracket pushes it out
    cheers

18. philipb

philipb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    bonzo

Do a search on this forum for Installer09. He's in the Swindon area and has done work for me. Good man. If I can dig out his details at home I'll PM you.

Where exactly are you - I'm in Highworth.