Wall mount speakers

Sainta

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my home cinema/music system. I currently have a very old Denon AVR-3802, some first generation Monitor Audio Mass satellite speakers & a rel strada sub. I'm fairly settled on keeping to sub and upgrading the amp to a Denon AVR-x3700h. For speakers I want to move from a 5.1 to ideally 6.1.2 (back single channel) or 7.1.2. I want to upgrade the two fount speakers and center & keep and reuse the monitor audio mass speakers for the other channels. Just to keep cost down and allow me to spend more on the important speakers. The new speakers must be wall mount and less than 200mm deep due to the room layout. They can't be in wall as the wall is solid with steals in. I'm willing to put in a TV surround wall panel if I need to and fit in wall speakers in that if that gets me better options. The options I have looked at are:

Klipsch RP-240d and 640d
KEF T series
Dali Oberon
Monitor Audio SoundFrame 2
Monitor Audio Radius 225

I understand it's best to keep all speakers the same make so the Monitor Audio ones seem best options. But reviews seem mixed. With some reviews saying wall mounts are over priced and under performing. I love the sound of monitor audio gold's so want to get as close to that as I can with my limitations on budget and space. Budget is max £1500 for the three speakers. Could spend more on left and right, less on center or visa versa, depends on what gets me the best. Speakers are mainly used for films but also sometimes for two channel + sub music.

So many options and considerations feeling a bit lost. Any help would be very appreciated.

If you have a budget of £1.5k for the front three speakers, then i'd be inclined to say, look at the Apex A40 across all three. They're a popular speaker for cinema and also can surprise musically to if the occasion arises. The Denon AVC-X3700H will have everything you need balance the room and as you are keeping the older MASS for surround duties, the system should keep the same Monitor Audio family sound traits

Thanks ShaneJP, I hadn't noticed them as monitor audios website sells them as center and not in the on wall section. Looks good though. One follow up thought is these are 200w speakers the Denon AVR-3700h is only 105w. I might be able to stretch to the x4700h but that is still only 125w. How will the speakers perform if the amp is lower powered?

The DALI Opticon MK2 LCR would be a very good shout too.
Your amp has plenty of power for these units too.

They were released mid last year and feature the hybrid ribbon/soft dome tweeter. Fabulous top end, not bright - well dispersed HF which makes for great sounding dialogue and a solid cabinet design and SMC based woofer for the lower/mid range.

You'll squeeze them into your budget too ;)

I'm looking to upgrade my home cinema/music system. I currently have a very old Denon AVR-3802, some first generation Monitor Audio Mass satellite speakers & a rel strada sub. I'm fairly settled on keeping to sub and upgrading the amp to a Denon AVR-x3700h. For speakers I want to move from a 5.1 to ideally 6.1.2 (back single channel) or 7.1.2. I want to upgrade the two fount speakers and center & keep and reuse the monitor audio mass speakers for the other channels. Just to keep cost down and allow me to spend more on the important speakers. The new speakers must be wall mount and less than 200mm deep due to the room layout. They can't be in wall as the wall is solid with steals in. I'm willing to put in a TV surround wall panel if I need to and fit in wall speakers in that if that gets me better options. The options I have looked at are:

Klipsch RP-240d and 640d
KEF T series
Dali Oberon
Monitor Audio SoundFrame 2
Monitor Audio Radius 225

I understand it's best to keep all speakers the same make so the Monitor Audio ones seem best options. But reviews seem mixed. With some reviews saying wall mounts are over priced and under performing. I love the sound of monitor audio gold's so want to get as close to that as I can with my limitations on budget and space. Budget is max £1500 for the three speakers. Could spend more on left and right, less on center or visa versa, depends on what gets me the best. Speakers are mainly used for films but also sometimes for two channel + sub music.

So many options and considerations feeling a bit lost. Any help would be very appreciated.
What did you go with in the end?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom