1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall mount problem - weird mount help needed !

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Hawksight, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Hawksight

Hawksight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Im trying to mount my Sanyo Z3 projector on the wall facing upwards and using a mirror to reflect it onto the projector screen. Now sanyo themselves do an official wall mount that does this for £400. Im going to try and build my own :rolleyes: but just a couple of questions which would be great if any of you could answer.

1. Do any other companies build these at a cheaper price ?
    2. Is it an efficient way of projecting (i.e. is there any loss in quality).
    3. Do different mirrors (if i go down the DIY route) have different efficiencies ?

Thx.

2. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    £400 is absolutely ridiculous. The mirror would cost about £16, how difficult can it be to make the rest of it? It should be cheaper than a ceiling mount.

3. Hawksight

Hawksight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I kno.....but has anyone got either instructions or answers to the questions ?

Thx

4. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    you'll have to use a front surface (front silvered mirror). Try these guys:

http://www.vacuumcoatings.co.uk/vacuumcoatings.services.html

My only issue is how to affix the mirror over the lens without interfering with the dust cap (I'm doing this with a panny). The actual wall-mount is a vesa LCD mount on the back of the pj

5. Hawksight

Hawksight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thx loads that link rele helps :) If the mirror is good quality i assume there wont be any loss in brightness/contrast ?

O and will leaving the dust cover open permanantely be bad for the projector as longas it is wiped regularly ?

6. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I think these mirrors are rated at around 97% transmission, so any degradation should be negligible.

As for the leaving the dust cover open, I don't know. With my panny I'm more worried about heat buildup in the wrong places, but the Sanyo shouldn't have those problems.

7. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Alternatively, a prism. If I hadn't ordered a mirror, I'd investigate this. I might investigate it anyway, as it would just require setting on the lens. Save all the trouble of mounting the mirror at 45 degrees. Focussing might be a comedy of errors, though!

If you have the pj pointed downwards, not so handy :)

http://www.sp3plus.co.uk/

About £30 for a 5cm 'square' right angled prism.

8. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I cobbled together a very temporary mirror arrangement with a small make-up mirror from Boots, cardboard and masking tape last night to prove the theory. It certainly seems to work, and quite well, too (not a big surprise, I guess). With the regular mirror, the ghosting is there, but not all that noticeable.

The issue for me is that (as opposed to mounted horizontally) I have an extra foot or so of throw, and now my picture is too big for the screen. Damn, damn, damn. Only slightly too big, though. I don't think it goes onto the wall, just past the white bits. Liveable withable, I think.

Still, even with a Blue Peter style periscope attachment on top of the PJ, this is still a neater arrangement than mounting the regular way. Her indoors is moderately pleased. Or not unhappy. I have to wait for the subwoofer to arrive to make her unhappy :)

I will post pictures when I take them.

p.s. the prism above will almost certainly lead to all sorts of chromatic rainbow problems, so even though you'll get 100% light transmission, compared to something less than that for the mirror, the mirror is almost certainly the better option.

9. spickee

spickee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I've got a similar problem that my image is about 6" too big for the screen, would like to mount the PJ on the vertical like you but this would increase my projection distance so making the problem worse. Keep thinking about sticking the PJ up in the loft and angling down through the ceiling but it's a bit dusty up there for my liking. Might have a look at some other mirror stylie mounting options, once the wife gets fed up of it being on show.

10. jasper_mccrea

jasper_mccrea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    OK, here's a picture of the mirror. Sheesh, that looks ropey. However, the good news on the arrangement (along with some bad news) is that I need a lot of keystone (-18 or so!), but that shrinks the picture to a size where it'll fit the screen w00t. And the other good news is that this £4 mirror from Boots is totally satisfactory. I don't hardly see ghosting at all. If at all.

Attached Files: