1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wall Mount Cables

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by ecnirp, Oct 23, 2004.

1. ecnirp

ecnirp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am planning to get a 42" plasma, probably a panasonic, and then wall mount it.

With it being a focul point of the living room, how do people hide the cables going into/out of the wall mounted plasma's?, normally all this stuff is hidden behind the TV/stand on a CRT, but on a wall mounted plasma how do you hide the cables for Scart DVD/Scart AMP/Aerial/Power lead etc?

2. moku

moku
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wall mounting the plasma is great but with difficulties such as hiding the many cables, and making sure that the wall is strong enough to carry the weight of the plasma, and you need another pair of hands to help with hanging the plasma on the wall due to the weight. DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS ON YOUR OWN!

The best way to hide the cables is to chisel a groove in the wall and bury the cables in the groove and the plaster over it. Doing this will certainly require redecorating etc and not to mention the inconvenience.

Having said all the above, I still believe that plasmas look awesome wall mounted, but you will need to do some groundwork and grafting!

3. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If you go down the route of plastering cables into the wall remember that any change of cable requires redecoration.

I'm about to go the route of putting a plasma (probably a hitachi 42pd5200) on a chimney breast and have come to the conclusion that the best way is to bury a 1" pipe in the wall to take the cables.

That way if I upgrade to some new super dooper digital cable in 10 years I don't need to pull half the wall down just pull a new cable through the pipe.

4. ecnirp

ecnirp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was thinking along similar lines vileda, cables generally do not fail, but burying them in the wall sounds abit risk if they do!!, problem with scart leads is that the connectors are so big, pulling them through a pipe could be abit problematic!!

5. vileda

vileda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I'm a great believer in sods law.

I've discounted using a scart lead and will just use Component & s video, the 42pd5200 has 2x component &, 1x s video & pc

6. Venger

Venger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there no form of 'trunking' that can be used? i.e. bundle all the cables together and cover them with a rigid piece of plastic. This can then be screwed on to the wall and painted the same colour as the rest of the room. It's not ideal but would just about work I think and involve a bit less upheavel than pipes and chisels.

I'm about to go down this route but need to find the 'trunking'.

Any ideas where I can get this?

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    there is loads of types of conduit you can use....... paintable plain white brushed ALuminium.....loads mate have a search round B&Q and some other places

8. Johnnypanic

Johnnypanic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    A bit of plastic wastepipe, cut in half and affixed to the wall, then paint in whatever colour you require.

Should work, but I'll let you know later this week when I do the job :)

Johnnypanic

9. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Some good ideas here, but an even better one is never to use a scart lead up to the screen. They have a monotonous habit of working loose, let alone the plug size and the fact that they are not the best for the kind of cable length typical of a wall mounted plasma.