Wall bracket mounted fronts

rooo

I'm looking to upgrade my three front speakers to replace my aging Teufel Theater 100's.
The sub that came with the package has been replaced with a new BK P12-300SB, and the system is currently powered by a Denon AVR-X2600.

The main issue with the Teufels is a general lack of clarity, and poor high end - they need more crispness, something that has become even more obvious with the new sub.

The room is not that big at 4m wide x 4m long x 2.6m high.
Sitting position is along the back wall with the front pair mounted to each side of the bay window on wall brackets. About 3-4" from the wall.
Centre sits on a window seat in the bay window.

I realise this configuration limits my choices somewhat!

Looking to spend around £500, but looking for the best bang for the buck, so a bit under or over this is fine.

The Mission QX1, Monitor Audio Bronze, Elac Debut B5.2 all look around the right price, but I'm concerned about rear porting with then being so close to the wall - should i be?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I'm looking to upgrade my three front speakers to replace my aging Teufel Theater 100's.
The sub that came with the package has been replaced with a new BK P12-300SB, and the system is currently powered by a Denon AVR-X2600.

The main issue with the Teufels is a general lack of clarity, and poor high end - they need more crispness, something that has become even more obvious with the new sub.

The room is not that big at 4m wide x 4m long x 2.6m high.
Sitting position is along the back wall with the front pair mounted to each side of the bay window on wall brackets. About 3-4" from the wall.
Centre sits on a window seat in the bay window.

I realise this configuration limits my choices somewhat!

Looking to spend around £500, but looking for the best bang for the buck, so a bit under or over this is fine.

The Mission QX1, Monitor Audio Bronze, Elac Debut B5.2 all look around the right price, but I'm concerned about rear porting with then being so close to the wall - should i be?
I`m always intrested trying to make the old system sounding better first if possible. Do you sit against rear wall? If that is the case, then pushing it little bit forward can make a positive difference. Read any article and you will find that it´s one of the worst spot to sit as the bass builds up near the boundary.

I assume below is your system.

" Onto performance and the Theater 100 is clearly punching above its price class. Working in unison, the six speakers conjure up a deep and dynamic sound, hitting crisp high-frequencies and eking out a mesmerising tapestry of detail from any movie you throw at them "

The Teufels are sealed by design and designed for wall mounting/close wall application. I have to ask have you manually changed the speaker crossovers if they are set below 80hz now? Looking the specs of the speakers i wouldn´t set them below 100hz, let the subwoofer handle the range it´s suppose to and do not try to play too low with the speakers, i bet they sound better when they can play 100-120hz upwards. Why i mention this is cause the receiver measures the speaker roll off and if they are wall mounted you might get low crossover setting of 40hz for example and some people don´t make any manual changes after running setup and think why it sounds poor. So do check that and make necessary changes.

Another thing i want you to try is change the Audussey eq curve to "Flat", it´s defaulted on "Reference" which does high frequency roll off. The Flat may sound better. Also do third test with setting it "Off", this way you can be sure the receivers room correction (XT) isn´t the cause of what you are hearing. Cause the lower version of Audussey does correction in the higher frequency mostly where it´s often less needed and as it´s not on the level of Dirac Live at that range so it can do more harm than good, so please do comparison with same chapter of movie with each settings. You can find the settings under menu MultEQ XT.

At this point it´s only costing time to try few tweaks, if you could get it to sound better then great. If not then we can think about the other options.

rooo

I'll try these later, many thanks for the in-depth reply.

The amp is less than 3 weeks old and with the previous sub blowing, I had to wait a while before configuring them. I haven't done anything beyond calibrating with Audessey so will give your ideas a go first.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom