wall and floating wall project for home cinema setup :-)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by trapster, Aug 15, 2009.

1. s0cialb3ta

s0cialb3ta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    oh wow, i love it :cool:

2. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ok have got a couple more shots which show the lighting off a little better

Attached Files:

3. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    just got home from work and have started sanding all the joints and screw holes,wow that is hard work even with a makita sander :-(
    still looks ok :)

4. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    after sanding last night i put some more filler on the joints and screw heads,got home tonight and sanded them all down.
    I have now put on the first coat of mdf primer,but i can see some flaws where i think i need to refill again :-(
    So i guess i will do that wed night after work,but here are a couple of pictures of the first coat of mdf primer :)
    dont worry the walls not on the PxSS just my poor picture taking :)

Attached Files:

5. sphinx_uk

sphinx_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    looks good, looking forward to seing your lighting trough :smashin:

6. MajTom

MajTom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I found this thread when searching for the APX50 stand. First of all congratulations on your project - it looks very impressive and I honestly wish I could implement a similar setup - no space for that I am afraid. I particularly like the back lights - a stunning view! Thanks for all the pictures - and that is where my question comes:

I noticed you had the APX50 set up with all your gear particularly the Wii on the lower shelf - I was thinking of a similar setup but discarded the stand due to the space between the shelves being given as 154mm at the Alphason site which would not fit it. I am puzzled now as either we have different dimensions on the consoles (unlikely) or the 154mm is incorrect. I also intended to put an AV receiver on this stand which is about 200mm high - yours seems to work fine on the top shelf while from the dimensions given on the Alphason site there is no way I could fit that. Did you make any modifications to the shelves or am I getting something wrong here?

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing your finished project.

7. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi

i did drill a new hole to make the stand higher so the 905 amp could fit on the top shelf.
    The wii was stood up on the bottem shelf but at the back of the self pointing out to the side.
    the dimension may well be from the bottem glass shelf to the bottem of the top shelf support the glass is higher than the support as the support is around 1-2" thick
    thanks for the comments on the wall :) glad you like it

8. Ashmanuk

Ashmanuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Hi Trapster,

Thats one of the better looking walls i have seen on here, very good indeed i like the way the T.V looks flush.
    On the lighting are they RGB lights colour changing ?

Great work :thumbsup:

9. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi thanks for the comment ashman

they are not rgb lights,just a 12m rope light from tlc direct they have a unit attached so they can glow and flash and all that but we will just have them on constant.

12mtr Rope Light Kit - White / Clear

just doing more sanding as i type this,its doing my head in now tbh :-/
    still should look good once its all done,next is the Projector screen and PJ which i am not really looking forward to installing.
    i wanted to install the projector screen onto the floating wall near the top,but i have no idea if the projector will project the picture to where i want it to go,so lots of messign around me thinks.

10. SatpalSandhu

SatpalSandhu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I'm trying to decide between the Sanyo PLV-Z700 and the Optoma. Since you've tried both, what do you reckon? On paper, the Optoma is much noisier - do you notice this to be the case?
    BTW The wall looks really cool, nice work!

11. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi

well the sanyo was a fantastic picture,but is just so big ,its silly it looks like a air con unit, the optoma hd20 has the same picture Q as the sanyo in my opinion(sure some will disagree) but i only tried both on factory settings,but the optoma is smaller than a ps3 and it looks nicer than the sanyo,and also its much cheaper than the sanyo.
    as for the noise i cant say i could tell much between the two to be honest,but on paper the sanyo is 21db and the optoma 29db but i could not tell between the two,not suprising with the onkyo 905 and kef3005 se turned up ;-)
    the sanyo has one great feature over the optoma and thats the masive lens shift.
    If you intend on putting the projector off centre to the screen get the sanyo,otherwise go with the optoma HD20 3 year warranty great picture great looks :) and save your self a fair amount of dosh :)
    hope that helps

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  12. SatpalSandhu

SatpalSandhu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sound advice.
    I'm definately swayed towards the Optoma (HD200X or HD20) as I only have a smallish room and the Sanyo will look out of place. One concern I have with the Optoma is the lack of lens shift. I read somwhere that the top of the picture is around 8" below the pj lens. Is that correct? If so the picture might be a bit low as my ceiling is only 92" high.

13. dizzy123

dizzy123
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very Nice

14. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    ok guys

some more pictures for you to take a look at.

we still need to get the projector screen mounted back on the floating wall(had to take it down to paint :)
    and we will be putting up the lighting trough saturday and hopefully the lighting trouch will be completed bar some painting saturday :)

anyway hope you like the pictures (sorry about the spots on the lens should clean the camera more often :-(

Attached Files:

15. Davey H

Davey H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Hi,i have been following a lot of these floating wall project's over the last few day's and i have to say this is my favourite so far!

Nice work,and looking pretty cool.......:smashin:

16. stephen_

stephen_

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Looking good :smashin:

17. hype_male

hype_male

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    hi all, i have hit a dead end in my quest for building my floating wall. the issue is that due to my home cinema room lay out the best place to build my 60 inch wide floating wall is in front of a window but my concern is that the wall below the window is not high enough to fix the timber frame on. my idea to combat this is to instead of a floating wall i should build some thing like ikea tv bench with panel but build i would like to flush or reces the tv in the floating wall my plan is to use build the frame and screw it to the floor for support, used a thick and strong batton to mount the tv bracket on and then go from there. if this idea sound good what batton thickness shoud i be using.

If this idea stink can people throw some suggestion at me plz.

18. lukeyy

lukeyy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Ill be honest mate when you first started this project and cutting off the two rooms I was like :eek:

Having only just seen the finsihed project I think it loooks fantastic, Congrats :smashin::smashin:

19. alz2605

alz2605

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    Looks stunning mate, top job :smashin: I don't like arches and much prefer to have the use of two separate rooms rather to open plan.
    Open plan is great for singles or couples but when the bleeding sprogs come along you need a door to close them behind!

Can't wait to see the PJ screen up. Have you had a play with your new PJ yet?

20. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    the projector screen and projector is up and the lighting trough is also up.
    i will get some pictures up soon to show this :)
    i am just in the middle of painting the mdf box to house the projector screen in,as i did not like the look of it just stuck on the floating wall.
    the projector is fantastic for the money,i played Call of duty 5 world at war nazi zombie mode with the lads last night on xbox live wow is all i can say.
    i will get some piccys of the projector in use for you guys to take a look at,but a camera does not do it justice tbh.
    also tried the forza 3 demo on the pj tonight i have to say i just hada big grin on my face while doing lap 1 :) lol
    the onlu issue i had was with the xbox and the projector going thru the onkyo 905 amp it would either show one of the 3.
    1 - the xbox screen as normal
    2 - a black screen
    3 - green lines no picture

the ps3 and the wii and v+ box were all fine.
    all connected in the same way,and i could not get my head around it.
    it turns out that the ps3 does 1080p at 24hz
    the v+ is set to 720p at 50hz
    the wii 576 i think at 60hz
    the xbox360 1080p at 60hz
    as soon as i set the xbox to 720p it worked flawless so it was the amount of bandwidth going down the 15m hdmi lead to the projector from the amp.
    it could not cope with 1080p at 60hz so all i have done is set it to 720p and told the onkyo 905 to upscale everything to 1080p as it has a great upscaler a reon vx.
    that took me a few nights to work out which stopped me from sanding and painting otherwise i would have the finished piccys up by now :)

21. spinal_chord

spinal_chord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Hi, stunning project mate, a question on the rope light, how far is the rope light recessed behind the wall face. Is there any chance of some pictures showing a close up face on view of the rope light and how it looks now on and off.

Cheers mate

Dave.

22. trapster

trapster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    hi

never got round to putting up more pictures of it finished but will do as soon as possible :)

just been playing to much forza on the 92" screen to worry about taking pictures :)

23. spinal_chord

spinal_chord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    Itll be great if you could take some quick snap shots of a side on view bud and maybe measure how "deep" the rope is set into the side wall, also, do you have skirting boards running right up to the floating wall or slightly away from it.

Dave.

24. Eyecube

Eyecube
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,
    I'm planning on doing more or less the same as yours is amazing. I was just wondering how your projector screen looked on the floating wall and how you did it? Because i'm looking around and can't find any pictures of a floating wall with a projector screen in it.

Thanks and great job :)

25. smallfrycel

smallfrycel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    whats the type of ceiling mount you have for the projector please?