Walkman charge and play

R Soul

Standard Member
Reaction score
The Walkman NWZ-E443 disables play mode when plugged into any USB.

Also, there are no sony docking stations sold in Australia - even Sony-brand docking stations are only iPod compatible. (go figure!)

No problem if you don't want to play and charge, but would like to plug into my home hi-fi - charge through USB and play through AUX jack.

Any ideas, other than buy an iPod?

Far cheaper to buy an iPod which plays everywhere.

Sadly, the near-new walkman is now destined for the bottom drawer.

If Sony think that this will every come close to rivalling the iPod, they need to sort this problem out.

The walkman was THE portable music to own in the 1980s because the audio quality was the best (anyone remember cassettes?).

These days, it is all about Gigabytes of storage that can play anywhere.

If you can't easily dock it, you can't easily play it.

And if you need to run your PC for 2 hours to charge it, without being able to use it at the same time, you soon get sick of using it.

Very dissapointed.

Last edited:
Although I miss my old Thomson that could play and charge (it even shipped with a case, mains charger, car charger, car cassette adapter and used a standard mini-usb cable), I can see Sony's reasoning for not doing this. It is expensive to design a battery that can be charged while discharging without compromising the batteries life, and as your player is likely plugged into a PC to charge you can listen to the music via the PC either from the players storage or the PCs storage.

The problem with the iPod being so ubiquitous is that USB docking stations don't exist anymore. The days of standard plug n play usb docks have gone, so as a result the only device companies make a dock for is the :spits: iPod :spits:.

Marketing and innovation genius by Apple.
Replace the spinning disc with flash memory and patent the interface device (docking station) to lock out the competition.

Take generic technology and make it proprietary.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom